Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: new found hardware wizard keeps opening at start up

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
24-Jan-2009, 10:12 AM #1
Solved: new found hardware wizard keeps opening at start up
The wizard starts at start up, it identifies a infrared device. I have no device attached. I have used the do not prompt me again check box but it keeps coming up at start up.
I went to the device manager -Infrared device/unknown device properties, driver tab,driver details. only one driver file appears- C:\windows\system32\drivers\irenum.sys
I recently had to reformat all hard drives and reinstall windows and did all updates. I had a malware virus that attacked AVG and my foxfire environment. From my research it came out this year. my own stupidity let it in. All systems work fine now except this wizard pop up at start up. I do not want to remove the device from my device manager without some knowledge as to why it appeared there.
Junior Member with 9 posts.

24-Jan-2009, 01:45 PM #2
Did you try going to Device Manager and checking for the device with a yellow exclamation point. If so, highlight the device, select properties, disable device. this should stop the search for drivers.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
24-Jan-2009, 09:39 PM #3
That is where I found the path to the file. I feel so stupid now. I only had delete on my mind, and I hate deleting what I do not know. disabling the device affords me the opportunity to undo any unusual after effects. I did it, rebooted and all seem fine. I did learn through my searches that it could have been loaded when I reinstalled Window Media Center 2005.
Thank you for the help
Junior Member with 9 posts.

25-Jan-2009, 01:31 AM #4
Cool! Glad I could help. Now if someone could help me.

I've got 2 problems.

My Adobe Flash Player will not work properly....Different sites keep telling me to update my Flash Player but, I have the newest version. I can't view any You Tube or Flash Player content. And, my other problem is when I double click on the "My Computer" icon, it takes about 5 minutes for it to open up. I posted one problem on this site but never got any feedback. But my search continues

That's good to hear about your PC.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!