Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

is it ok to turn my bt home hub firewall off?

(!)

Member with 87 posts.

Experience: Beginner
25-Jan-2009, 03:09 PM #1
is it ok to turn my bt home hub firewall off?
im using my xp`s firewall at the moment.
the thing is i have 3 online games that i like to play and was wondering if i should turn my bt home hub firewall off and if it safe too?
also would it help with the lag i get when playing the games to turn the bt home hubs firewall off?
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,173 posts.

Experience: intermediate ~ advanced
25-Jan-2009, 07:05 PM #2
i have my BT home hub firewall disabled, but that's more personal preference than anything.
Can i say though, the inbuilt XP firewall is crap. and so i recommend Comodo Firewall, download link here, as it is free, but very good
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,357 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
25-Jan-2009, 07:13 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbm1991 View Post
i have my BT home hub firewall disabled, but that's more personal preference than anything.
Can i say though, the inbuilt XP firewall is crap. and so i recommend Comodo Firewall, download link here, as it is free, but very good
for your suggestion!

Just some additional info, Comodo does not provide a standalone firewall anymore. You can now get the Comodo internet security to install the firewall, just make sure not to install Comodo antivirus if you already have one. Defense+ is a useful program as well but it can become annoying if not configured properly. In my opinion, don't install it.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 842 posts.

Experience: Advanced
25-Jan-2009, 07:18 PM #4
Not sure what most people around here think, but Zonealarm is a free software firewall. However, using your hub as a firewill will create less overhead for your PC.
Computer Specs

25-Jan-2009, 08:02 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosquito555 View Post
for your suggestion!

Just some additional info, Comodo does not provide a standalone firewall anymore. You can now get the Comodo internet security to install the firewall, just make sure not to install Comodo antivirus if you already have one. Defense+ is a useful program as well but it can become annoying if not configured properly. In my opinion, don't install it.
well, it sounds like he doesn't have an antivirus, but fair comment anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by dez_666 View Post
Not sure what most people around here think, but Zonealarm is a free software firewall. However, using your hub as a firewill will create less overhead for your PC.
Zone Alarm is also fine and dandy, but the new version is apparently not very good and its also one of the least user friendly firewalls available.

Also the Home Hub firewall is useless IMO. its always my PC firewall that catches anything, the only thing the Hub one does is cause problems for my PS3
Member with 87 posts.

26-Jan-2009, 04:24 AM #6
i using avira antivir premium and i have spybot too, i know these are not firewalls. just need to know if its safe so turn the bt home hub firewall off, is there a free firewall that wont interfere with my games.
the hubs firewall is letting me play them ok but a mate told me to turn it off because my games will play better? i just don`t think xps firewall is enough.....
Computer Specs

26-Jan-2009, 04:33 AM #7
XP's firewall isn't enough. download the Comodo one i mentioned above, and DON'T install the antivirus seeing as you already have one. Its free, good, and easy to set up.
Member with 87 posts.

26-Jan-2009, 04:36 AM #8
ok will give it a try thanks
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!