Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Cookies are deleted everytime I restart/shut down

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 245 posts.

05-Feb-2009, 11:45 AM #1
Cookies are deleted everytime I restart/shut down
Hey guys. I've been having a problem with my cookies for months and months now, and just avoided it up until now. I've finally gotten tired of it, and have attempted many times to try and fix it myself but to no avail. I was wondering if anyone here might know why this is happening. Basically, as long as my computer stays on forever, all of my sites i visit keep my username and password remembered, so that i don't have to log in each time, etc etc, but as soon as i restart, or shut down my computer, next time i get back on it, all my cookies seem to be gone, and i have to re-login to all my sites again. Please help!
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is online now flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 57,243 posts.

Experience: Advanced
05-Feb-2009, 11:51 AM #2
Open Internet Explorer, click Tools - Internet Options - Privacy(tab) - Advanced(button).

Select:

Override automatic cookie handling

First-party cookies - accept

Third-party cookies - block

Always allow session cookies

Click OK - Apply - OK.

Close and then restart Internet Explorer.

See if that helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Cookies are deleted everytime I restart/shut down-cookies.jpg  
Computer Specs
Member with 245 posts.

05-Feb-2009, 12:07 PM #3
Thanks for the quick reply. I had all those settings already in place that you posted. Other than the third part cookies section. I restarted my computer after putting the settings in place as you've shown and i still have to login to everything. So, it appears to still be messed.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is online now flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs

05-Feb-2009, 12:18 PM #4
I keep all 4 security zones set to default level and don't use custom level. I haven't been in there since the Internet Explorer 6 days, so I don't know if there's any settings in there that disable or delete cookies. It won't hurt to check - unless you've already done it.

By the way, what version of Internet Explorer are you using?

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs
Member with 245 posts.

05-Feb-2009, 12:20 PM #5
I'm using 7. Should I go ahead and set all my zones to default then?
Computer Specs

05-Feb-2009, 04:53 PM #6
I've kept the 4 security zones in IE 7 and IE 8 RC1 set to default, and I've had no problem with accessing websites and browsing on-line.

I don't use toolbars and U-Tube and Google Notifier and Yahoo and anything like that, so it reduces my risk of on-line and browsing conflicts.

----------------------------------------------------------------
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!