Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

windows explorer shuts down (XP)

(!)

Member with 257 posts.

Experience: Advanced
15-May-2002, 05:38 PM #1
Angry windows explorer shuts down (XP)
Im running Windows XP pro. This had done it before, but always stoped. Whenever i open up windows explorer, it stays up for about 5 seconds and shuts down, the taskbar also reloads as this time. Starting to be a big pain, not being able to explore folders and files, thanks, Barret.
Senior Member with 1,818 posts.

Experience: IT Pro since 1978
15-May-2002, 08:00 PM #2
Was the XP installation a clean one or was it an upgrade from a previous OS?

I have come across this kind of problem where XP is an upgrade and the previous OS had programs installed that are not XP compatible. Things like Cleansweep are probable culprits.

Its the program explorer.exe that is crashing. Are you getting any error messages on screen at all when this happens? If so please post them so we can help you.

If not open up event viewer and see if there are any errors for explorer.exe and post back the details.
Member with 257 posts.

15-May-2002, 09:57 PM #3
Im running a clean install. Im not seeing any errors at all when this happens. I looked in event viewer and the only thing i could find was of type information...
source = winlogon
category = none
event = 1002
user = N/A
Happened several times w/ the explorer.exe prog. Under properties, this is listed.. The shell Stoped unexpectedly and Explorer.exe was restarted.

Does this help at all, i looked it up on http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp but found nothing, thanks again, barret.

as far as i know, all my programs i run are for xp, but ya never know, is there a way i can check.?

Last edited by kknla; 15-May-2002 at 10:08 PM..
Member with 257 posts.

15-May-2002, 10:46 PM #4
i also just noticed, its only happening w/ certain files, mostly large movie files of type mpg. A little grey and blue icon appears on the taskbar when this happens, mabey in the shape of a computer, not really sure, it does not stay up long enough for me to do anything with it.

Last edited by kknla; 15-May-2002 at 11:15 PM..
Senior Member with 1,818 posts.

Experience: IT Pro since 1978
16-May-2002, 04:33 AM #5
The explorer.exe file is the Windows shell so that error message is pretty much what I had expected you to find. Its frustrating that it gives so little info. I couldn't find anything on Event 1002 other than it is a generic error code common to a number of apps including Exchange.

This will help you determine the compatibility of programs
http://support.microsoft.com/search/...;en-us;Q285909 and talks you through using the program compatibility wizard.

On the mpg file thing, I would check out the file association for it to make sure that the right program is trying to open it. On my XP machine MPGs are listed as movie files, and are set to open with Media Player. The icon should be a media player icon. To check and/or change this open my computer, go to Tools / folder options /file types, and scroll down to mpg. Make sure that your association is correct and change it if necessary.
Senior Member with 1,156 posts.

16-May-2002, 08:42 AM #6
You might view your error log to see what its saying. To view the error log go to Start/Help and Support/Tools/scroll down to/Advanced System Information/View Error Log.
Member with 2,984 posts.

16-May-2002, 11:40 AM #7
You might also want to check Dr. Watson. The icon you describe is kind of like Dr. Watson's in the systray. Blue/gray type thing.
Member with 257 posts.

16-May-2002, 07:33 PM #8
I defraged last night, after it finished, a few files could not be defraged, these are the same files that cause explorer.exe to shut down when access them. I opened Dr. Watson and found that it was the program icon I was seeing, it listed the following error, let me know if you need more then this, thanks again.
Application exception occurred:
App: C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe (pid=1276)
When: 5/16/2002 @ 18:26:45.406
Exception number: c0000005 (access violation)
Member with 5,520 posts.

Experience: Advanced...I guess... ;)
16-May-2002, 09:30 PM #9
Well... I agree with Nick as he stated MPGs are listed as movie files, and are set to open with Media Player it sounds as if the mpg files are associated with Real Media ( it has been my experience that Real Media has problems with these file types, especialy if they have been encoded in mpeg2 )...
Member with 257 posts.

16-May-2002, 10:25 PM #10
i do not even have real media installed on this pc. They are not set to open with WMP, b/c I am not a fan of spyware, I use BSplayer instead and I have never had problems with it. I can open any file from the program in which it uses, thats not my problem. The problem is keeping explorer open long enough to do anything with it. i.e. move, delete, ar rename files.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!