Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Black screen with moveable cursor after splash screen

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 9 posts.

Experience: Beginner
11-Feb-2009, 10:47 PM #1
Question Black screen with moveable cursor after splash screen
Going to my sisters tonight to attempt to fix her PC. Was working fine this morning but this afternoon - Upon startup everything runs fine until after the windows splash screen everything goes black and the only thing visable is a cursor, but nothing to click, cannot ctrl=alt=del, cannot right click. Cannot enter safe mode at all, last good configuration doesn't work either. Computer is still running, fan whirring, lights flashing. Fan has been cleaned and power supply checked, no change. Cannot get into anything to run explorer or virus check. She is running Windows XP SP3. I'm unsure of when sp3 was installed. I understand this may be an issue, along with video and graphics drivers, display settings, corrupt registry, flat CMOS battery or loose internal connections.

My questions are -
What can I do to actually get into the computer to check if it may be these problems?
Does anyone know of any more problems that could be causing this problem?
Computer Specs
Member with 2,233 posts.

Experience: Enough To Know Better
12-Feb-2009, 01:39 AM #2
Welcome to TSG, Kiwichick. You stated....

Quote:
Fan has been cleaned and power supply checked, no change.
It's very possible that in cleaning the machine something may have become loose. (It happened to me before,
a sata cable wasn't completely connected.) Check all of the connections at both ends. Any cables or straps
need to be tightly seated to the HDD as well as the connection to the mobo.

Before you open the case, disconnect all peripherals and press the power supply button in for approx. 30 seconds
to drain the remaining flea power. It sounds like a loose cable to the drive.
Computer Specs

12-Feb-2009, 11:22 PM #3
Thank you for your warm welcome
I have the CPU at my place now, so will be able to work on it a little easier. Will definately try tightening all cables and connections but I don't think cleaning the fan caused the problem as it was already there before I cleaned the fan.

Will post back after I've had a play with it, let everyone know how I get on.
Computer Specs

13-Feb-2009, 05:52 AM #4
Well I got it out of the car
plugged it all in and it wouldn't even turn on properly, all it did was try to read the cd drive. Tried running the hard drive through another win98 computer but it wouldn't run properly. Don't really want to run it through my comp incase it has a virus.

Now all it does when I try to start it is the fan starts running on the processor and that's it.

Is it Fried?
Power Supply?
Processor?

Will keep you posted.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
black screen with cursor, cannot enter safe mode, xp hangs

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!