Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Acer Aspire One Help

(!)

Member with 61 posts.

22-Feb-2009, 05:53 PM #1
Question Solved: Acer Aspire One Help
Hi guys, I need help with my friends computer.

He has an Acer Aspire One which has no CD rom drive.

When he boots up he gets a screen that says:

windows could not start because the following file is missing or ... file is missing or corrupt: <windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

I would be able to fix this if it had a cd rom drive but I don't know what to do...

Help?

Thanks
Senior Member with 2,548 posts.

Experience: Advanced
22-Feb-2009, 06:37 PM #2
ntoskrnl belongs in C:\Windows\System32

Do have a floppy drive? If so, it could be copied from the floppy to the correct folder. You would need the right floppy depending on whether the drive is FAT32 or NTFS.
Can the drive be pulled and attached or slaved into another computer to do it that way?
Member with 61 posts.

22-Feb-2009, 07:18 PM #3
There's no floppy drive and I have no idea how to do that.
Senior Member with 2,548 posts.

Experience: Advanced
22-Feb-2009, 08:11 PM #4
Sorry, I looked up that system after I posted. No floppy, no optical drive. It can boot from a USB stick if you can make one, but that's a bit tricky. Pulling the hard drive may be an easier bet, if you can take it to a shop and have them copy the file to the correct location. They will hopefully have the device to do it (SATA - USB adapter cable). But I have to say that this may not be the only problem. You'll find out after you replace the file.
Sorry I haven't been of more help.
I've just read some horror stories of folks sending their Acer Aspire One to the repair depot.
Member with 61 posts.

22-Feb-2009, 09:32 PM #5
Thanks I do have an external HDD and am trying to figure out how to replace that file without having to take it to some repair shop.
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

22-Feb-2009, 09:44 PM #6
I highly doubt replacing one file is going to resolve the problem. It's more likely that the drive failed, the OS is corrupt, or there's some type of malware problem.

The Aspire One should have come with a recovery disk. You'll need an external optical drive to use it.
Member with 61 posts.

22-Feb-2009, 10:44 PM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleHelix View Post
I highly doubt replacing one file is going to resolve the problem. It's more likely that the drive failed, the OS is corrupt, or there's some type of malware problem.

The Aspire One should have come with a recovery disk. You'll need an external optical drive to use it.
Ok, I used the recovery partition to recover it.

Weird. o_O
Thanks guys.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
acer aspire one

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!