Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Transferring Address Book

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 11 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
02-Mar-2009, 02:05 PM #1
Solved: Transferring Address Book
Hello,
I'm having difficulty transferring my old address book from my old WinXP ProSP3 computer to a recently acquired WinXP Home SP2 computer. The process involves a flash drive and when I copy the WAB.exe file from the Outlook Express folder of the old computer, and then paste it to the new computer several things can happen. The transfer may end up as a shortcut or the .exe is lost, etc. In any case on the XP Home computer the WAB file doesn't contain the names, addresses, phone numbers, and other details of the old address book. Since I have moved other files between the two computers using the flash drive I'm confused with the trouble this transfer is causing. Any ideas?
Computer Specs
Member with 6,989 posts.

Experience: Advanced
02-Mar-2009, 02:15 PM #2
The file you should transfer is a .wab file, not wab.exe.

In Address Book go to File > Export > Address Book(WAB) and create a .wab file. Then transfer that file and import on the other PC.
Computer Specs

02-Mar-2009, 08:38 PM #3
stantley,

I'm beginning to get a better picture of what is required by using your reply and working between the two computers. Strangely all the WAB folders on the old computer had some extensions, including .exe . I finally opened a WAB.exe folder and saw in the File drop down the Export choice to Address Book (WAB).

Can you enlarge on "and create a .wab file." and also "Then transfer that file and import on the other PC." What should the created file name look like? The .WAB has me slightly confused and the import (How?). Is this a physical transfer with the flash drive?

I hope I'm not being too cautious but as you can see the presentation in the old computer has me going step-by step. Thank you for your interest and support.
Computer Specs
Member with 6,989 posts.

03-Mar-2009, 08:46 AM #4
It might be easier if you make sure file extensions are showing, here's how: http://www.fileinfo.net/help/windows...xtensions.html

Open the Address Book, click on File, go down to Export and click on Address Book(WAB).

Where it says File name put in anything you like, for example MyAddresses and click save. It will create a new file in your My Documents folder called MyAddresses.wab which is the file you want to copy to the flash drive.

Here's how to copy a file to a flash drive http://www.bc.edu/offices/help/meta-...ive-copy.shtml

Take the flash drive out of the old PC and plug it into the new one. Copy MyAddresses.wab to the My Documents folder on the new PC.

Open the Address Book, click on File, go down to Import and click on Address Book(WAB). Where it says File name put in MyAddresses and click Open.
Computer Specs

03-Mar-2009, 01:31 PM #5
stantley,

That got it. I took your last---and very educational post---in a step-by-step manner and finally got my address book where I wanted it. One thing I was not aware of, the Import-Export factors. In the past I don't remember requiring importing and exporting. Too me, the thought of re-building a ten year old address book was not very appealing. Thank you very much for providing a solution and staying with me on this problem.
Computer Specs
Member with 6,989 posts.

03-Mar-2009, 03:08 PM #6
You're welcome. I'm glad you got it to work.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
outlook express, wab, windows address book

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!