Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

How can I password protect my Windows Backup Utility file?

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
04-Mar-2009, 03:09 PM #1
How can I password protect my Windows Backup Utility file?
Our XP Pro workstations back-up to our server using the Windows Backup Utility. I would like each user to be able to password protect their back-up files. Can anyone provide instructions on how to do this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Greg
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
04-Mar-2009, 03:56 PM #2
Are you sure they aren't already? I don't use that utility, but the backups need to be made under the user account, with its password, so I would assume that those permissions would also apply to the backup files if they are on NTFS volumes (but I'm guessing, and someone who uses it can tell you for sure). Have you tried accessing those files from another account?
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
04-Mar-2009, 04:36 PM #3
Thank you Elvandil. I have tried to access other users files from an non-administrator account, and have been able to see the information.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
04-Mar-2009, 05:00 PM #4
That answers that.

Have you considered an different backup? Any imaging program allows passwords, like Acronis or Macrium. Yes, I understand that I'm suggesting a lot of possible work, so don't slap me. Just a thought.

I guess we'll need to wait for someone who has more experience with Windows Backup. But it seems to be a major security problem, so I can't imagine that it has no solution.

But, the /r switch in ntbackup.exe at least restricts access to the admin group or the owner. I'm not sure you can do better than that since it would be ridiculous to allow access to only the individual making the backup, considering how people are with passwords.
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

04-Mar-2009, 11:21 PM #5
Setting up individual user shares with NTFS permissions would be a far better solution than trying to apply some type of password protection to a specific file. If the user forgets the password, the backup is toast. Not a good way to run a network.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!