Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Gateway System Recovery freezing.

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 19 posts.

Experience: Beginner
14-Mar-2009, 09:31 PM #1
Unhappy Solved: Gateway System Recovery freezing.
We had an unfortunate incident where my husband flipped a breaker for the living room and ever since our computer has never been the same. When we first turned it on, it was stuck on the loading page. After reading my manual I thought that I could take the Gateway System Recovery disc and perform a system restore (with backup). Well it kept freezing after about 4% and now when I try to turn on the computer it tells me that I the NTDLR file is missing.
The System Operating Disc is the only disc that came with my computer when I got it (and no, I didn't create a system restore disc as suggested in the manual.) Gateway is now telling me that I need to purchase the System Restore disc from them for $20 in order to fix my computer. Now I'm confused, what is the System Operating Disc then and will this actually work? Please help. I'm so very over my head on this one I would even be fine if everything is gone ... I just want my computer back.
Member with 8,974 posts.

15-Mar-2009, 05:19 AM #2
Here's a link of the different kinds of discs: http://search.gateway.com/s/SOFTWARE...3215faq8.shtml

I think you are going to have to purchase the System Restore disc to fix the PC.

I wish I had better news.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 59,422 posts.

Experience: Advanced
15-Mar-2009, 08:16 AM #3
Chatnoir72:

Not to get off the subject of your thread, but you really should purchase a battery-backup unit and keep the essential components(tower, monitor, modem, router) of your computer plugged into it.

An APC brick-type model with 8 - 10 outlets is a very good one for home use.

If electrical power is lost for a few seconds or a few minutes, your computer will keep right on humming along. It also give you time to shut down your computer normally if it looks like the power is going to be off for awhile.

Hopefully, one or more internal components didn't get damaged from the breaker switch being flipped off and then back on.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I just discovered that your computer is a Gateway MX6956 laptop, according to your computer specs icon.

Here is the support and software site for it, just in case you need it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by flavallee; 15-Mar-2009 at 08:23 AM..
Member with 7,891 posts.

15-Mar-2009, 09:00 AM #4
System restore CD's will return the PC to "as shipped" condition, with all extra softwares, Drivers pre-loaded, the CD you have will indeed install XP again, but with none of the Gateway customizations or software.

I suspect the XP CD you have needs SP3 to be slipstreamed into the CD, then it should install without issue.

If your XP CD that you have is not at least SP1 (it should say it right on the CD), if it has No SP, you will have to slipstream SP2 first, then slipstream SP3, other wise if it is SP1 or 2, you can just slipstream SP3.

Slipstreaming instructions

SP2 http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm

SP3 http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp3_cd.htm

after XP is installed, you most likely have to install some drivers for hardware, you can download these from the Gateway site for your specific model for free. Download these ahead of time, you may not have an internet connection on the newly reinstalled PC until some drivers are installed.

Once connected to the Internet, do Windows Update repeatedly until you have all the updates installed.

The Gateway recovery CD's are worth the $20, trust me on this.
Computer Specs

15-Mar-2009, 11:00 AM #5
I had the computer plugged into a surge protected power strip but I guess it didn't help. I've ordered the Recovery CD from Gateway and hopefully that will help.
I have a question about the slipstream. The CD that Gateway gave me with the laptop was: Windows XP Media Center Version 2005 with update Rollup 2 Operating System Disc. It doesn't say anything about slipstream. Is this something that is going to be on the Recovery discs? If they're not on the Recovery discs, should I be installing them prior to the recovery discs or after? I just want to make sure that I'm doing everything in the right order. And do I install the Operating System at the end?
Thanks Everyone for posting! I just felt so blind because I had no idea what I was doing and felt like I was damaging my computer even more.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 59,422 posts.

15-Mar-2009, 11:30 AM #6
Chatnoir72:

A surge protector(also called a power strip) contains no battery-backup. It's strictly for surge protection. If the power goes out, everything plugged into it stops working and shuts down.

A battery-backup unit contains a built-in battery for backup power and provides surge protection. If the power goes out, it switches over to battery backup, and everything plugged into it keeps working and doesn't shut down.

Enough said. I'll leave you in Mumbodog's and Dan O's hands.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Member with 7,891 posts.

15-Mar-2009, 11:34 AM #7
If you will read the slipstreaming articles, it will explain exactly what slipstreaming is, some of your questions are hard to answer unless you know what Slipstreaming is.

Quote:
The CD that Gateway gave me with the laptop was: Windows XP Media Center Version 2005 with update Rollup 2 Operating System Disc
Is it 2 CD's or a DVD?? MCE came packaged either way. Some very early MCE CD"s may have been only 1 CD.

If it is a 2 CD set, then you only need to slipstream CD1.

If it is a DVD then the process is the same but you will need a DVD burner to complete the slipstream process.

I suggest reading the articles I posted to familiarize yourself with the slipstreaming process.

The Gateway recovery CD cannot be slipstreamed, so just boot from CD 1 of the set and start the recovery process.
Computer Specs

15-Mar-2009, 12:37 PM #8
I think I just hit the wall. I read the SP3 article ... and it might has well have been in Chinese. I think I'm going to have to take my computer in to the city because I'm way out of my league. Thanks for helping.
Member with 7,891 posts.

15-Mar-2009, 12:43 PM #9
No, if you ordered the recovery CD's it will be easy. You won't have to do any of the slipstreaming stuff.
Computer Specs

15-Mar-2009, 12:56 PM #10
Thanks Mumbodog! I will just patiently wait for the CDs and take it from there. Thanks to Everyone!!!!
Member with 7,891 posts.

15-Mar-2009, 12:59 PM #11
You are welcome.

Welcome to TSGF.
Member with 8,974 posts.

21-Mar-2009, 04:12 PM #12
I will mark this thread solved for now.
Computer Specs

23-Mar-2009, 10:22 PM #13
Unhappy Blue Screen of sadness :(
I received my Recovery DVD from Gateway with the only intructions (written on the dvd) were to put it into the computer and follow the prompts. The first prompt states: "No operating system installed or partition corrupted. Press 'r' to perform a full system Recovery." I select "R" since it's the only option. It tells me it "Preparing System Recovery Partition", Then it says it's "Preparing System Recovery Options" and then ... blue ... c000021a {Fatal System Error}. What happened???
Computer Specs

23-Mar-2009, 11:54 PM #14
I don't believe it! I read online that I should select "Esc" when I get to the "Press 'R'" prompt and then it will bring you back to the same screen again (Press 'R') and this time I pressed 'R' and it worked!!! It's now 'completing recovery partition'. I am in awe of these machines and how they work. I can't seem to wrap my mind around it. Hopefully this time it will work!
Computer Specs

24-Mar-2009, 12:01 PM #15
Unhappy Gateway Completing recovery partition ... stuck
It has been "completing recovery partition" for the last 12 hours and has been at the 48% since 2am this morning. The file that it seems to be stuck on is "txtsetup.oem" and at the top it says "From '1386\DRV' to 1386\DRV'. The files are still flying from one box to another but no movement this 2am. Should I stop the process (which I guess I would just turn the power off) and start again? Does anybody know why it would be getting stuck?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
gateway, recovery dvd, system restore freezing

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!