Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: odd program in start up

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 29 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
23-Mar-2009, 01:38 PM #1
Solved: odd program in start up
i'm gonna put this up again and see if i get any responses on the program that im talking about in this earlier post. i got the java working, but i got no response on the program that is written in what appears to be wing ding squares in quotes. just thought i'd try again hi everyone, this place rocks. check this out, i recently tried to run trend micro's housecall,and it said that my java was off. this is strange because i recently updated.so i msconfig'd my xp and i found two files there in start up ,there were a couple of items that were written in a wing ding type font. a whole row of squares and stuff. does anyone know what it is? and if you could help with my java? if you need to ask more info i'll be happy to help. thanks again, a68postcar.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
23-Mar-2009, 02:03 PM #2
Try Startup Control Panel. Double-click the entry and it will show you the path to the executable.
Member with 2,391 posts.

23-Mar-2009, 02:22 PM #3
a68postcar,
Computer Specs
windows xp
------------------------------------
http://forums.techguy.org/malware-re...ml#post6014009
a68postcar - 24-Jul-2008, 03:21 PM #1
never posted back - THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED
http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt...ory-items.html
a68postcar - 21-Aug-2008, 05:28 PM #1
http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt...-start-up.html
a68postcar - 02-Nov-2008, 07:41 AM #1
http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/8...card-slot.html
a68postcar - 19-Mar-2009, 10:19 PM #1
never posted back
http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt...jack-what.html
a68postcar - 23-Mar-2009, 08:26 AM #1
never posted back
how can we help if you never post back?
Computer Specs

23-Mar-2009, 07:40 PM #4
daniel_b, i know it is frustrating to get so little input from a poster like me but please be patient. i'm a newbie to the realm of forums and i don't know all the proper etiquite. i am also new to trying to do these fixes all by my lonesome. so i'm learning too.i will in the future, remedy this. this is just one of those things i guess. sorry and thanks, postcar.
Computer Specs

23-Mar-2009, 08:47 PM #5
i also wrote to the administrator to open the original thread so i could mark it solved. again, thank you, postcar.
Moderator with 13,764 posts.

23-Mar-2009, 08:52 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by a68postcar View Post
i also wrote to the administrator to open the original thread so i could mark it solved. again, thank you, postcar.
I marked your threads as Solved, but what is the point in marking it solved if the problem is not solved?

You definitely need to post back to your threads if your require more assistance, as unfortunately, we cannot read minds.
Computer Specs

23-Mar-2009, 09:23 PM #7
thanks ea. i will do that.
Computer Specs

23-Mar-2009, 10:18 PM #8
Have you had any luck identifying that program? If you can find the name, we can help identify it for you.
Computer Specs

23-Mar-2009, 10:47 PM #9
no no luck but if you think it is safe i'll copy paste to the thread.
Computer Specs

23-Mar-2009, 10:52 PM #10
i can't do that either. they are in the start up tab in msconfig. just tried to right click and got no menu so. as i said its just squares and quotes and % and such.
Computer Specs

23-Mar-2009, 10:55 PM #11
Please don't change anything in msconfig. The Startup tool I made a link to above is much safer and you can double-click the entry and copy the path here. Just install it and then go to the Control Panel and click on the Startup applet. Look under each tab until you find your strange startup.
Computer Specs

24-Mar-2009, 11:36 AM #12
hey elvandil, i ran your program and the only things it got was,PCDrProfiler and mssadv.exe in the hklm/run.
Computer Specs

24-Mar-2009, 01:49 PM #13
hjt log
Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 1:46:48 PM, on 3/24/2009
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP3 (6.00.2900.5512)
Boot mode: Normal
Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\aawservice.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\bwcsrv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehRecvr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehSched.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\Iaantmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\AntiVirus 2007\tavsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\AntiVirus 2007\Components\tmproxy.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\IntelDH\Intel(R) Quick Resume Technology Drivers\Elservice.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\AntiVirus 2007\tavui.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe
F3 - REG:win.ini: load=??? ?, ? ?????
??
?? ?? ????
F3 - REG:win.ini: run=??? ?, ? ?????
??
?? ?? ????
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\windows\system32\tmlsp.dll
O23 - Service: Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\aawservice.exe
O23 - Service: Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service aawserviceaspnet_state (aawserviceaspnet_state) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: BUFFALO Wireless Configuration Service (bwcsrv) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\bwcsrv.exe
O23 - Service: Intel(R) Quick Resume technology (ELService) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\IntelDH\Intel(R) Quick Resume Technology Drivers\Elservice.exe
O23 - Service: Intel(R) Matrix Storage Event Monitor (IAANTMON) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\Iaantmon.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
O23 - Service: Server lanmanserverRpcSs (lanmanserverRpcSs) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\
O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: MHN MHN Mobile Device (MHN Mobile Device) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\
O23 - Service: Network DDE NetDDELmHosts (NetDDELmHosts) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\
O23 - Service: Office Source Engine oselanmanserver (oselanmanserver) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\
O23 - Service: Remote Access Auto Connection Manager RasAutoImapiService (RasAutoImapiService) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\
O23 - Service: Security Accounts Manager SamSsNtLmSsp (SamSsNtLmSsp) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\
O23 - Service: Security Accounts Manager SamSsstisvc (SamSsstisvc) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\
O23 - Service: Trend Micro AntiVirus Protection Service (tavsvc) - Trend Micro Inc. - C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\AntiVirus 2007\tavsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Trend Micro Proxy Service (tmproxy) - Trend Micro Inc. - C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\AntiVirus 2007\Components\tmproxy.exe
O23 - Service: Distributed Link Tracking Client TrkWksTermService (TrkWksTermService) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\
O23 - Service: Windows Management Instrumentation Driver Extensions WmiW32Time (WmiW32Time) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\
--
End of file - 4962 bytes
Computer Specs

24-Mar-2009, 05:11 PM #14
It doesn't appear that those entries are starting anything at all. Just remove them.
Computer Specs

24-Mar-2009, 06:18 PM #15
ok elvandil. when i get home, i'll delete them
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!