Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

can't load new operating system

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 54 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
26-Mar-2009, 03:38 PM #1
can't load new operating system
I have a Gateway Tablet note book. It stopped working. It would get to the windows screen and just sit there the blue dots going accross but never gets to Windows. I thought it might be the hard drive. So I ordered recieved new 380gb SATA hard drive. The only difference is the old one is a 5400 rpm and the new one is a 7200 rpm. I also have a xp pro never installed cd. When I try and install it it goees through all the stuff at the bottom of the screen as it is going to work. Then it says strarting Windows at that point it says can't find any hard drive. I know it's in there correct. I cleaned the contacts and put it in and out several times but it still says can't find hard drive. I look in the set up and the hard drive is there and so is the cd/dvd rom. I try and install new operating system on the old hard drive and get the exact results. Can anyone please help me as to what either I am doing wrong or what might be wrong with the lap top. Any one out there thanking you in advance for your help and consideratiton.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
26-Mar-2009, 04:29 PM #2
Installing XP on a SATA drive
Install Windows XP on SATA without a Floppy
Resolving "Setup did not find any hard disk drives" during Windows XP Installation

"Many newer BIOS allow an Alternate method for SATA . . Go into the BIOS and check the 'Sata Operation' setting, change it to 'Raid Autodetect/ATA' if it is not already. Now try to install XP (Verbiage will vary by manufacturer)" - Courtesy of simpswr.
Computer Specs
Member with 54 posts.

26-Mar-2009, 07:43 PM #3
can not find Sata Operation setting, only thing says for some hard drives select other rather than DOS. Tried other still the same thing. Says can't find Hard Drive then says try running Hard Drive diagnostic. Didn't recieve any hard drive diagnostic cd or floppy or any thing of the like. It is Phonix set up utility. I searched all over it and could find nothing other than the above for Sata Operation. Thank you so much for trying to help me, any thing else I might try?
Computer Specs

26-Mar-2009, 08:06 PM #4
That option would not be very common.

The most frequent choice is to load the SATA driver from floppy near the beginning of setup when that F6 message appears at the bottom of the screen.

But with so many new machines not having any floppies. The choice is then to make a whole new installation CD.

Give us as many details about the machine as possible.

XP is too old to support SATA. You don't have Vista sitting around, do you?
Computer Specs
Member with 54 posts.

26-Mar-2009, 10:20 PM #5
Have no Vista. Its a Gateway tablet. Model TA1 Original OS is Windows XP Tablet PC Edition. Original Hard Drive is a Hitachi Travelstar 80GB 5400rpm SATA drive made in Jan 06. The new hard drive is a hitachi SATA 3GB made in 09. When I first boot from the rom drive it says at the bottom loading this and loading that so it must find the hard drive at that time or where would it be loading too? It does the same exact thing if I put the old hard drive in and try and install it. I have two brand new xp disk never installed and both do the same. I am dumbfounded, but been that way since birth. Again thank you alot for your time and help please keep it coming. Also I do understand that the new operating system is not a tablet version so the tablet won't work but everything else should. And your right no floppy. Thanks again
Computer Specs

26-Mar-2009, 10:27 PM #6
You just can't install XP without SATA drivers. Vista is fully SATA-compatible, but XP was before those came out.

However, and I have not yet tried this to see if it will work, but it seems to me that if you put the SATA driver on a USB thumb drive, you should be able to load it after pressing F6 during the XP installation startup. I'll try this later if no one answers whether this can be done.
Computer Specs
Member with 54 posts.

26-Mar-2009, 10:29 PM #7
More info, new hard drive is 300GB not 3GB has 1gig or to 512 sticks of ram. CD/DVD read write 19 inch screen which swviles then you could had write draw or what ever. I did change the Bios to Other it says to do it for large hard drives but makes no difference as the two choices are DOS or Other tried everything both ways with the same results. Go Figure. Thanks alot again
Computer Specs

26-Mar-2009, 10:30 PM #8
Yes, I assumed it wasn't 3 GB's.
Computer Specs
Member with 54 posts.

26-Mar-2009, 10:33 PM #9
Where would I find the SATA driver, I have other computers I could download it to a cd or thumb drive. I bought the new hard drive from Tigerdirect no driver or any info came with it
Computer Specs

26-Mar-2009, 10:36 PM #10
Usually, they are on the computer manufacturer's site. But they may be on the board's site.

Don't give up yet. If you want an OS on the machine bad enough, we'll figure it out, even if not today.
Computer Specs
Member with 54 posts.

26-Mar-2009, 10:41 PM #11
Thanks again I will try to find a SATA driver for that hard drive. Maybe try Hitachi.
Computer Specs

27-Mar-2009, 12:22 AM #12
The driver would be specific to your board, but not to the drive. Same driver for all drives.
Computer Specs
Member with 54 posts.

27-Mar-2009, 08:50 AM #13
I do not know what board is in this note book but I will find out and go from there, however it appears to be loading a SATA driver as it says so on the grey bottom part before it tries to start windows. Also please note the original operating system is windows xp pro tablet edition. I just can't thunk what it could be. Thanks again I know you are trying so hard to help me and I certainly appreciate it. Thaank you again.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,732 posts.

27-Mar-2009, 09:20 AM #14
The SATA driver can only be loaded from a floppy drive-it's hard-coded into the XP installation. A thumb drive won't work. The only alternative, since you don't have a floppy, is to slipstream the SATA driver into the TEXTMODE section of the installation CD.

Personally, If you have the OS installation CD for the tablet, I would try to reinstall the XP Pro Tablet Edition (which no doubt has the SATA driver slipstreamed) first, and then see if it will accept an upgrade to XP Pro, which may not be compatible with tablet architecture.
Computer Specs
Member with 54 posts.

27-Mar-2009, 09:23 AM #15
I don't have the original cd. I think it's on the hard drive that doesn't work but I will contact Gateway and see what they can do with respect to that. Again thanks so much. I will keep you informed as to what happens. And again Thank You
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!