Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Dongle Software Crash Blue Screen Nonsense!

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Quite Advanced!!! maybe!
27-Mar-2009, 10:31 AM #1
Solved: Dongle Software Crash Blue Screen Nonsense!
Hey guys, firstly I'd just like to thank everyone for sharing their expert knowledge! This is my first thread but I've used this sight LOADS of times before to solve countless problems! It appears noone has had the same problem as me this time...on any other forums too!

The Problem: I recently brought a new dongle from 3mobile(uk) and cannot install the software that comes with (or should I say on) it. I know the software and dongle are all good as it installed first time on my girlfriends computer (same spec as mine: Windows XP, SP2, Home Ed, 512 RAM) and all works fine!

When I go to install the software after plugging the dongle in, all looks great, Installshield begins then BOOOOOOOOM!!! The old classic blue screen and memory dump! The error message reads:

0x0000008E (0x0000005, 0x00000000, 0xF83A8B84, 0x00000000)

I've spent quite a bit of time on this one!

1) I've tried installing in safe mode (allowing install options when booting in safe mode...I forgot how to do this now as it was a while ago I did it t solve another problem!) BOOOOOOOOM...same blue screen!

2) I've disabled DEP in the bootlog...BOOOOOOOOM...same blue screen!

3) Have ran chkdsk/r - no problems tried it again and guess what...BOOOOOOOOM...same blue screen!

4) Have coppied the software from usb dongle onto my computer...BOOOOOOOOM...same blue screen!

So guys... any ideas??? I was thinking of starting over with a good format c: but I've no longer got a windows disk! Thanks for your help and I'll look forward to hearing from you soon!

Peace out!

AN EYE FOR AN EYE WILL ONLY MAKE THE WHOLE WORLD BLIND!

JUST REMEMBER YOU'RE UNIQUE... JUST LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE!!!
Lance1   (Lance) Lance1 is offline Lance1 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 5,233 posts.

27-Mar-2009, 10:52 AM #2
What file is the Stop error 8E pointing to? Check this out; 0x8E: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Computer Specs

29-Mar-2009, 05:25 AM #3
Hey Lance, thanks for the quick reply! I did check out the link you sent but I'm still not sure what 0x0000008E (0x0000005, 0x00000000, 0xF83A8B84, 0x00000000) means? I'm guessing its a driver error of some kind but after the 0x0... lot of parameter codes, it doesnt specify any fault, but it only happens when trying to install the driver!
Any ideas how I can check for conflicting software/drivers?
P.S I found my windows disks so a good old format c: is an option if you think it may solve the problem!
Peace out!

Lance1   (Lance) Lance1 is offline Lance1 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 5,233 posts.

29-Mar-2009, 10:09 AM #4
Well if you have the XP CD, boot to windows and open a command prompt. Type in sfc /scannow. Make sure the XP CD is in the tray and let it run.
Computer Specs

03-Apr-2009, 06:26 AM #5
Hey Lance... Tried the sfc/scannow...it did scan but nothing happened when it finished so I just did a good old windows repair, installation of aforementioned dongle successful! Thanks for your time and I apologise wasting your time instead of just using my common sense in the first place!!! Peace out!

As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
crash, dongle, install, softwar

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!