Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Setting the default printer on a per-application basis

(!)

Member with 38 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
03-Apr-2009, 03:09 PM #1
Setting the default printer on a per-application basis
I'm not familiar with any way to do this, but I'm hopeful. In my retail shop, I have several computers set up, each with a receipt printer attached. For the POS software to print receipts and reports, the receipt printer must be set as the default.

Attached to a network computer is a regular-sized printer for printing memos and so on. My problem is that when I open emails in Outlook 2003, it is VERY difficult to change the page size (since receipt paper is much more narrow) and the email comes out in a single narrow column. After some tinkering, I can get it to print full-page, but I can't train all my employees to do the same every time I send a memo out. Is there a way to set a default printer for Outlook only, while keeping the receipt printer as the default Windows printer?

I also have one other program for which I wish to do this, but it isn't necesary.

Using Windows XP Professional SP3 on all machines
Lance1   (Lance) Lance1 is offline Lance1 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 5,172 posts.

03-Apr-2009, 05:42 PM #2
I think this might help you out. Change Printers in Outlook 2003 I can't test this as I only have one printer.
Member with 38 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
04-Apr-2009, 09:09 AM #3
That's another bug I've worked around already, though just as annoying. I just want employees to be able to click "Print" without changing any settings, since I will have already set them up for each application.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,172 posts.

04-Apr-2009, 01:21 PM #4
Other then the option in my post, I don't think that there is an option the set multiple default printers that are application specific. There might be software out there that'll do the job, but not that I have seen anywhere. Sorry, maybe someone here know a trick or two a bought this.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 9,126 posts.

04-Apr-2009, 02:02 PM #5
You could do what you want using a batch file or script, but would need to start Outlook from a batch file or script (instead of from the Outlook icon).

The default printer information is stored in the registry in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows.

You would need to export that key to a REG file for the receipt printer set as the default. And export the key to a different REG file for the regular printer set as the default.

Create a batch file that Opens Outlook and runs the reg file for the regular printer. It needs a loop that checks to see if Outlook is still running. Then run the reg file for the receipt printer if Outlook is no longer running.

Edit: This isn't going to work if Outlook is left running all day.

Last edited by Frank4d; 04-Apr-2009 at 02:22 PM..
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 9,126 posts.

04-Apr-2009, 02:16 PM #6
I also remember using a command line utility to do the same thing when my kids were very young. I added a command to shortcuts so when they ran their little Thomas the Tank Engine games, the default printer was set to a phantom printer using the 'NUL' port so they could not print.

The 'defprint' utility I used is attached below. I seem to remember it only worked with printer names that were 8 characters or less.
Attached Files
File Type: zip defprint.zip (12.0 KB, 353 views)
Computer Specs
Member with 5,172 posts.

04-Apr-2009, 02:33 PM #7
Here is a good place to start. Beginners Guides: Understanding and Creating Batch Files It'll give you a good base line to start from.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
office, outlook, printer

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!