Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Files not showing up in their proper icons (Windows XP)

(!)

Junior Member with 7 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
08-Apr-2009, 10:19 AM #1
Question Files not showing up in their proper icons (Windows XP)
Recently, some of my files (.mht, .html, .mp4, among others) have not been showing up in their proper icons in Windows. Instead, Windows shows the default icon that it gives to files without any associated programs.

I have tried the following (none worked):
  • Setting the files to their proper icons in Tools->Folder Options->File Types
  • Tried the 'Repair-> Rebuild Icons' setting in TweakUI
  • Removed and then associated again the files that have wrong icons within the preferences/settings of their respective programs

Please see this screenshot (and note that the icon appears correctly within Folder Options but not in Windows Explorer):
http://imgur.com/649U.png

I am wondering if there is an option or a software that could "force" Windows to use the proper icons. I feel that this is a result of a registry cleaner I used some time ago. I did not try restoring the registry to an older version as I have only recently noticed this problem and I could mess up the settings of the software I installed after I have used the registry cleaner.

My OS is Windows XP Professional SP3.

Last edited by sandpaperbackrub; 08-Apr-2009 at 10:35 AM..
Computer Specs
Member with 41 posts.

Experience: Advanced
08-Apr-2009, 10:23 AM #2
Have you tried associating them with another program (media player, VLC ) or similar ?

Just a thought.

Monkey
Junior Member with 7 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
15-Apr-2009, 12:34 AM #3
I tried associating MP4 files to VLC. It changed to VLC's icon. When I associated it with KMPlayer again, it reverted to the Windows default file icon. KMPlayer's icons with other files associated with it show up properly.

I have also already tried the ff for an MP4 file (again, none worked):
Re-installing the program (KMPlayer) that is associated with MP4 files
Changed the 'Right Click->Open with' default program of an MP4 file to another program and associating it again with KMPlayer.

I am wondering if there is a Windows XP registry key or a software that could "force" Windows to use the proper icon.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
icons

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!