Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Various Drivers don't show in Device Manager

(!)

Junior Member with 13 posts.

Experience: a little dumb
10-Apr-2009, 03:29 PM #1
Various Drivers don't show in Device Manager
I run XP home edition SP3, browsers firefox google chrome and IE7, printer, scanner, have all MS updates. The trouble when I place a cd or dvd in the drive it crashes the pc. I noticed it when using OpenOffice and trying to burn a slideshow. Openoffice would crash sometimes also. I used Revo Uninstaller to remove OOo and reinstall. Okay. I started backing up data to burn and it got worse. At first It was sporadic crashes whether music, data, or movies. I did scans for virus/malware stuff. Nothing. Then comodo anti-virus stopped updating. I did a clean reinstall and it was still messed up. I switched to Avast AV and xp firewall for now. I did an xp repair to keep from losing all my new data, reinstalled all MS updates and reinstalled SP3. Then the pc would take cd or dvd but my player stopped playing movies. Pc said the 'enabledvd.' file was missing yet it was still there. Then my Pinnacle Instant CD+DVD program crashed trying to burn data. More scans, another repair, updates required, it took cd's at first, now it crashes everytime. Bio's is on default. Video drivers were updated in device manager. The only thing I can think of is I used ccleaner then I used comodo system cleaner before the first repair although I have used ccleaner and no problem. Directx tests are okay. In Device Manager in System Devices the following show wrong yet no yellow marks:
Direct memory access controller,
Motherboard resources,
Numeric data processor,
Programmable interrupt controller,
System board,
System speaker,
System timer,
all which state the same - 'No drivers are installed for this device. If you are having problems with this device, click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter.' Each has a driver tab showing microsoft driver. I uninstalled each, rebooted and still the same. I did startup with the bare things and still the same. I can't do a clean install with xp or I'll lose all my data I was trying to backup. Now that's a twist of pc fate! Also I have mini dump logs but the symbols don't load right. I'm a newbie and ANY help is appreciated folks!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The bootup or ntbt log shows the following drivers NOT loaded at startup. These showed consistently not loading.

Did not load driver C-Media AC97 Audio Device
Did not load driver Communications Port
Did not load driver Printer Port
Did not load driver Audio Codecs
Did not load driver Legacy Audio Drivers
Did not load driver Media Control Devices
Did not load driver Legacy Video Capture Devices
Did not load driver Video Codecs
Did not load driver WAN Miniport (L2TP)
Did not load driver WAN Miniport (Network Monitor)
Did not load driver WAN Miniport (IP)
Did not load driver WAN Miniport (PPPOE)
Did not load driver WAN Miniport (PPTP)
Did not load driver Packet Scheduler Miniport
Did not load driver Direct Parallel
Did not load driver AMD K7 Processor
Did not load driver RADEON 9550
Did not load driver RADEON 9550 Secondary
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Event Viewer, System-
-----------
Event Type: Error
Event Source: System Error
Event Category: (102)
Event ID: 1003
Date: 2009-04-08
Time: 23:16
User: N/A
Computer: EWA
Description:
Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 806ef134, parameter3 ee69e334, parameter4 00000000.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Time: 23:16
Description:
Error code 000000c9, parameter1 00000211, parameter2 f9b5d4b0, parameter3 82308e48, parameter4 00000000.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Time: 23:15
Description:
Error code 000000c9, parameter1 00000211, parameter2 f9b7d4b0, parameter3 81ed8e48, parameter4 00000000.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Time: 23:15
Description:
Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 806ef134, parameter3 ee94ea60, parameter4 00000000.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event Type: Information
Event Source: Save Dump
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1001
Time: 18:59
Description:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000008e (0xc0000005, 0x806ef134, 0xee94ea60, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
System Information, Summary, Conflicts/Sharing-

I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 PCI bus
I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 Direct memory access controller

I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF VIA CPU to AGP2.0/AGP3.0 Controller
I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF RADEON 9550

IRQ 10 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
IRQ 10 C-Media AC97 Audio Device

IRQ 11 RADEON 9550
IRQ 11 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller

Memory Address 0xC0000000-0xDFFFFFFF VIA CPU to AGP2.0/AGP3.0 Controller
Memory Address 0xC0000000-0xDFFFFFFF RADEON 9550

Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF PCI bus
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF VIA CPU to AGP2.0/AGP3.0 Controller
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF RADEON 9550

I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB VIA CPU to AGP2.0/AGP3.0 Controller
I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB RADEON 9550

I/O Port 0x0000C000-0x0000CFFF VIA CPU to AGP2.0/AGP3.0 Controller
I/O Port 0x0000C000-0x0000CFFF RADEON 9550
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I was wealthy, I'd be looking at a brand new pc right now but I ain't so I can't!
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
10-Apr-2009, 03:34 PM #2
Ccleaner is a registry cleaner, of course, so can not help and can only damage the system. But it looks more severe than that. Did you get any errors during reinstallations? Any missing files?

Try testing memory, or running on fewer sticks.

MemScope (Floppy and CD images.)
Roadkil's RAM Test
Microsoft Memory Test (floppy or CD ISO image)
Memtest86

If you have enough memory sticks, you can test them by removing one at a time and see if the problem disappears.

If you are running Vista, tap F8 on boot and choose the memory diagnostic, or if you can boot up, go to Start > Search and type:

mdsched.exe

Choose to run a memory diagnostic on next boot. Or, you can boot from the DVD and run it from there.

10-Apr-2009, 04:01 PM #3
I ran microsoft memory test several times and it showed okay. Both times that I did a repair there were no errors were shown but the first repair pinnacle cd+dvd was repaired by xp asking for pinnacle's cd. I ran sfc /scannow before the first repair and several times the xp cd came on and ran. If that means anything. I've done chkdsk /r and kind of run out of notions. Before the first repair, if I left a cd in the drive it would crash, reboot and stay in a loop rebooting until I took out the cd. Same in safe mod.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 11 posts.

Experience: If it ain't broke, fix it
10-Apr-2009, 04:14 PM #4
I'm gonna run out here and suggest that you remove your hard drive from your computer, find a friend who doesn't mind holding your files for a while, and install your hard drive in his computer as a slave drive. Then, simply copy the files you need to backup onto his drive, put it back in your comp and reformat. That should help if it's a software problem.

If, on the other hand, it's a hardware problem, try downloading a live cd version of linux and see if it boots and runs... if it does, then the problem's likely in your software.

10-Apr-2009, 04:30 PM #5
I would remove the hard drive like you say just to get my hard earned data but I'm staying in an eastern european country and...uhh...don't trust. I will try the live cd version of linux just to see about the hardware/software problem. I didn't know I could do that. Also I have windbg to read the dump files but it won't load symbols right and I'm not good at it. It does keep saying that it is a driver fault.
Computer Specs

10-Apr-2009, 04:37 PM #6
Do you have all the devices listed above in the "don't load" list?

A better memory test like Memtest86 that will run for a prolonged period and do more than a quick test may be useful. It tests many types of memory functionality.

If all hardware is sound, then you have an infection. Scan with AV and several, different malware scanners, or go to Malware and have someone there clean up your machine.

If you haven't tested the drive:

Free Hard Drive Testing Applications:

Manufacturer's Tests
Victoria for DOS
Victoria for Windows (Both versions of Victoria are among the best and most thorough tests available.)
HD Tune
CheckDisk 1.03 (Marks bad sectors as unusable.)
HDAT2 (Diagnostics and bad sector recovery)
MHDD Low-level Diagnostics
Bootable Hitachi Drive Fitness Test Floppy or CD Image (works on most drives)

Hard Drive Manufacturers' Diagnostic Utilities Links:

TachTech
BleepingComputer

10-Apr-2009, 04:59 PM #7
Thank you for the info. This is what confuses me. I don't know if it is a hardware, infection I didn't detect or software problem. This will take me awhile considering where I am and I thank everyone for the help. You've been very kind.
Computer Specs

10-Apr-2009, 05:04 PM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyecee1 View Post
I would remove the hard drive like you say just to get my hard earned data but I'm staying in an eastern european country and...uhh...don't trust. I will try the live cd version of linux just to see about the hardware/software problem. I didn't know I could do that. Also I have windbg to read the dump files but it won't load symbols right and I'm not good at it. It does keep saying that it is a driver fault.

Yeah, unless there is something physically wrong with your bios or cd/dvd drive, you should be able to boot up the live cd and then just see if it acts weird... it may or may not load the right drivers, but then you're just seeing if the stuff is broken. My recommendation is Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex, because I've been using that for diagnostic boots with no problems on a bunch of computers.

10-Apr-2009, 05:05 PM #9
Quote:
Do you have all the devices listed above in the "don't load" list?
Sorry, I overlooked that. These where the ones that kept showing up in the log. The log is very long and confusing to me but these were the ones stuck together not being loaded over and over.

10-Apr-2009, 05:10 PM #10
Quote:
Yeah, unless there is something physically wrong with your bios or cd/dvd drive, you should be able to boot up the live cd and then just see if it acts weird... it may or may not load the right drivers, but then you're just seeing if the stuff is broken. My recommendation is Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex, because I've been using that for diagnostic boots with no problems on a bunch of computers.
I was a little afraid it (or me) would mess something up. I was wanting to try Ubuntu when all this goofy stuff happen.
Computer Specs

10-Apr-2009, 05:20 PM #11
Quote:
I was a little afraid it (or me) would mess something up. I was wanting to try Ubuntu when all this goofy stuff happen.
As long as you just use the live cd, it doesn't even touch your hard drive... Everything runs in memory, unless you decide to install it.
Computer Specs

10-Apr-2009, 05:58 PM #12
Quote:
Sorry, I overlooked that. These where the ones that kept showing up in the log. The log is very long and confusing to me but these were the ones stuck together not being loaded over and over.
But do you actually have those devices? There are 10's of drivers for which that message is normal. The drivers are on your machine but they are not loaded because the devices do not exist.

11-Apr-2009, 07:17 AM #13
After your question, I'm not for sure now. What do I do to know for certain that the devices in question exist? As for the boot log, 'Did not load driver C-Media AC97 Audio Device' I know this works because I tested it. Are some drivers loading after the boot log is made? This morning in device manager, sound video and game controller, a microsoft kernel wave audio mixer showed up with a yellow mark. It says: Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39). I've never seen this before. I've done audio, graphics tests and everything works except the cd/dvd drive crashes everytime when a cd is inserted. At present I am running several tests you suggested which will take me quite a while. All night I ran malware and AV tests and so far everything shows clean. Thanks for the links above and thanks for working with me.

12-Apr-2009, 11:44 AM #14
Quote:
If all hardware is sound, then you have an infection.
Here goes since my last post. I ran memtest86, roadkil's ram test, microsoft memory test, hdtune test, victoria test and showed okay. I ran NOD32 av, Avast av, malwarebytes, spybot & search, ad-adware and everything shows clean. I did pcpitstop just to check pc, belarc to see if updates or hotfix is missing, driver scan and everything is updated it says, reinstalled ATI Radeon drivers in case they were corrupted, directx tests were okay, combofix because I'm desperate, went to safe mode and rebooted to reset drivers (someone said), unchecked anything in startup that I didn't need, ran chkdsk and sfc /scannow. I've used windbg but I'm not smart enough to know how to find what the second parameter is with the numbers. I can find the error code and first parameter in mdn library. I've googled for days and read what I could find. (some was awful or confusing) It seems to be a corrupt driver or software not working properly. I'm not for sure.

Quote:
But do you actually have those devices? There are 10's of drivers for which that message is normal. The drivers are on your machine but they are not loaded because the devices do not exist.
I would check to see if they exist but I don't know how to do that. Any more advice and I'll see what I can do. Still learning.
Computer Specs

12-Apr-2009, 01:35 PM #15
Can you boot up with the CD-ROM disconnected to see what happens? You need to disconnect the ribbon, but the power can stay.

If it seems to boot normally, take a look at Device Manager and see what problems are there.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
corrupt file, driver problem, drivers missing, hardware problem, software conflict

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!