Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Blue screen of death with stop code(?): 0x000000F4, what's the problem with t

(!)

Member with 93 posts.

Experience: Beginner
14-Apr-2009, 02:09 PM #1
Solved: Blue screen of death with stop code(?): 0x000000F4, what's the problem with t
Good day to you.

I experienced identical BSoDs today, the first one happened while I was just doing my usual stuff when suddenly my laptop lagged for a few seconds and then showed me a BSoD that said STOP: 0x000000f4 (0x00000003, 0x897574E8, 0x8975765c, 0x805c77ca).
The BSoD instructed me to restart if it was the first time that this happened so I just restarted my laptop, after booting it scanned for errors. After scanning I logged on again on my account and then I resumed my work, but after a while I was confronted with the second BSoD.

Thinking that this was really serious I restarted my laptop again and then googled the stop error. The results yielded to hardware errors. And then I thought to my self "Have I installed any new hardware?" I thought long and hard but it seems to me that I have not. So what could be causing this?

One theory I have is maybe because the usb cord connecting my laptop to my hard drive enclosure is getting loose since my mouse hand occasionally bumps it thus loosening its grip on to the usb port. The two BSoDs happened while I was using my enclosure to play some music or while accessing some files in it (owned the enclosure for only just a year now).

Another is that my hard drive is failing me already (owned this laptop for more than 3 years now) since when it scans for errors it just usually scans the C partition of the drive.

Other than the two theories I have there is no more.

So what could be causing this? Any help will be surely appreciated. Thank you so much for reading this.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 32,343 posts.

Experience: Advanced
14-Apr-2009, 03:15 PM #2
0x000000F4: CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION
(Click to consult the online MSDN article.)
One of the many processes or threads crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated. As a result, the system can no longer function. Specific causes are many, and often best resolved by a careful history of the problem and the circumstances of the error message. One user, who experienced this on return from Standby mode on Win XP SP2, found the cause was that Windows was installed on a slave drive; compare KB 330100.
Member with 93 posts.

14-Apr-2009, 09:08 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom010 View Post
0x000000F4: CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION
(Click to consult the online MSDN article.)
One of the many processes or threads crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated. As a result, the system can no longer function. Specific causes are many, and often best resolved by a careful history of the problem and the circumstances of the error message. One user, who experienced this on return from Standby mode on Win XP SP2, found the cause was that Windows was installed on a slave drive; compare KB 330100.
Thank you for the reply sir!

I've read this article yesterday (KB330100) but could not understand it quite well. What does the title "Connecting a hard disk drive in slave only mode leads to system halt during resume from standby" mean sir? From what I know my laptop has only one hard drive that is partitioned unto C drive and D drive, but I am not entirely sure. What should I do to know if windows is installed in a slave drive?

And could someone please explain to me what the article (KB330100) means? I can not really understand it. I read it quite a few times but still no understanding has occured.

Also when the BSoDs happened I was no returning from standby mode it just happened.

Thank you to those who will be replying
Computer Specs

14-Apr-2009, 09:22 PM #4
This error occurs sometimes when resuming from Standby mode. You don't seem to have a slave drive. There could multiple causes for your error message and the article shows one of them. It's never easy to diagnose these types of errors.
Member with 93 posts.

14-Apr-2009, 09:29 PM #5
Ouch, so I can not really trace what happened here then? Its just a frightening experience for me though. Because the identical BSoDs happened consecutively with just about a break of 30 minutes of so from each other.

And there is really no way to find out if my laptop has a slave drive (whatever a slave drive means)?
Computer Specs

14-Apr-2009, 09:38 PM #6
On the older style ATA drives, now called PATA or simply IDE, each drive chain had two positions for drives. One was called the Master, and the other the Slave drive.

The drives performed in exactly the same manner, and the only difference most people would notice was that the Master drive was given a drive letter before the slave drive.

In short, a Slave drive does everything a Master drive does.
Member with 93 posts.

15-Apr-2009, 07:55 AM #7
Quote:
On the older style ATA drives, now called PATA or simply IDE, each drive chain had two positions for drives. One was called the Master, and the other the Slave drive.

The drives performed in exactly the same manner, and the only difference most people would notice was that the Master drive was given a drive letter before the slave drive.

In short, a Slave drive does everything a Master drive does.

Thank you for the information sir! So you are correct that I have no slave drive since I only have one hard drive partitioned into 2. Therefore there is really no way to trace the catalyst of the BSoD then..
Computer Specs

15-Apr-2009, 08:02 AM #8
Can you please post a few of the last minidump files the error may have produced? Zip them and attach them to your next post.

The files are located in C:\WINDOWS\Minidump.
Member with 93 posts.

15-Apr-2009, 08:23 AM #9
Quote:
Can you please post a few of the last minidump files the error may have produced? Zip them and attach them to your next post.

Ok sir, just wait a minute. I'll upload it on rapidshare after zipping it.
Computer Specs

15-Apr-2009, 08:25 AM #10
Upload them here. You can attach them in your next post.
Computer Specs

15-Apr-2009, 08:27 AM #11
I will use the Debugging Tools for Windows (x86) to open them.
Member with 93 posts.

15-Apr-2009, 08:28 AM #12
Quote:

here is the link sir, http://rapidshare.com/files/221628678/Dump.rar.html

I just created a winrar archive since I'm using winrar and not winzip.

Thankyou for your help sir!
Member with 93 posts.

15-Apr-2009, 08:31 AM #13
Quote:
Upload them here. You can attach them in your next post.
My bad sir, I already uploaded it on rapidshare. Is that okay or should I re upload it here? I'm sorry.
Computer Specs

15-Apr-2009, 08:33 AM #14
I don't have WinRar to open your files. Please go back to your Minidump folder, select a few of the last minidump files, right click on them and select "Sent to". Then zip them with the very simple Windows compression utility. Simply attach them to your next post. Thank you.
Member with 93 posts.

15-Apr-2009, 08:38 AM #15
Quote:
I don't have WinRar to open your files. Please go back to your Minidump folder, select a few of the last minidump files, right click on them and select "Sent to". Then zip them with the very simple Windows compression utility. Simply attach them to your next post. Thank you.
Ok sir, will do. I only have one minidump file though. But I am most certain that it is the most recent one because after the blue screen occurred I did not clear off my dumpfiles via disk clean up.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
blue screen, blue screen of death, bsod, stop:0x000000f4

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!