Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

XP Problems

(!)

Junior Member with 7 posts.

14-Apr-2009, 03:15 PM #1
XP Problems
Right, so a few hours ago I get back work, start up my PC and woo hoo! A hang up on the windows loading screen. Start in safe mode, get to MUP.SYS and then says "Press esc to cancel loading SPTD.SYS".

Oh no! Not this again I hear you cry. It's not.

I have been through this several times, just checked on the interwebz again to make sure I did what was right. So I grab my windows disk, load up the repair console on that, delete the file.

Still don't work, oh right, gotta change stuff in the registry as well.... Well how do I do that as I cannot get onto my PC. Read some more, oh sometimes it creates another file, that does something similar normally something like SPTD9887.sys, or any 4 number combination. I check the Drivers directory, low and behold. SPTDS.SYS.

Check it out, and one post said "It is a windows file", 12 others said "Kill it, it is Daemon Tool thing, same as SPTD.SYS".

So I kill it.

Still nothing.

So I remembered, last time I had something like this, my friend used FIXBOOT and FIXMBR, and it all worked again. So gave those a while, and nothing.

Well, when I say nothing, it did get on. But instead of doing it's usual routine, it didn't do much. Seemed to get halfway through loading stuff, and then stop dead as it were. Not crashed, but loaded no more. For example, Windows Messaenger didn't open. Two little messages that pop up saying "Found new hardware, search for this that and the other" did not appear, AVG loaded, but carried on running, instead of saying "Your firewall has no responded, or something basically saying it doesn't work".

So I try and edit the registry anyway. Run -> Regedit. Nowt. PC crashed now. I restart, go back to DOS check the files are gone, all gone. Tra la la la la.

Oh, I also went into Device Manager. Run -> devicemgmt.msc (Or something like that I forget) -> View -> Show hidden things -> Non-plug and play drivers -> SPTD.SYS -> Right click "Delete". At some point, I have forgotten when I did that though, but I did it. Twice. And it was still there on the second time. Dunno now, PC hasn't started up or not crashed since.

Yeah. I would like some help I made a huge mistake by not ringing my friend like I have done before.

Do not want to wipe, but if I have to, also would like a way of moving everything from my C:\ drive to my Z:\ drive. As I wanna keep it all, then I can re-install windows and run through all the stuff on the Z:\ drive to put it back on C:\.

Thank you in advance, and I would appreciate it if you did not mock me for my PC tom-foolery. It is the last time I promise

14-Apr-2009, 04:39 PM #2
Anyone got ANY ideas?

Van Hellsing is nearly over, and I have nothing to do after that :P
Phantom010 has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 32,315 posts.

Experience: Advanced
14-Apr-2009, 04:41 PM #3
Have you tried a XP Repair Install?

14-Apr-2009, 05:20 PM #4
It gets to 52/53% and then says:

"Setup cannot copy the file: Pro_seg1.swf"

I press enter to retry and it says it again.

Today is not a good day, PC breaks, I hit my knee and now I cannot move it >_> And my other leg goes into spasm so now I cannot hop along on that leg either.

So I can't even sit and play on my PC now :P

14-Apr-2009, 05:21 PM #5
Ok, I have skipped it, and now pro_seg.swf cannot install.

Bah, skip it. I can always try again later

14-Apr-2009, 05:21 PM #6
Oh, and Pro_seg3.swf

15-Apr-2009, 07:44 AM #7
Right, sorry I stopped posting yesterday. The internet on my Laptop decided to play up, so I couldn't do anything.

Still not resolved. Still hangs up on MUP.sys but now won't say what it is handing up on.

So guys, still looking for some help here I am at a complete loss for what to do. I am going to try and ring a friend tonight, and see what he knows about it.

But still, any help you can offer is appreciated.

15-Apr-2009, 12:13 PM #8
Anything anyone? Still at a loss.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,732 posts.

15-Apr-2009, 12:35 PM #9
File copy errors are often either caused by a dirty/scratched XP CD or are memory related. Run Memtest86. You can download the ISO file and burn it on a CD and then boot from the CD, or you can use the floppy image and boot from a floppy.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!