Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Computer will not boot with keyboard and mouse plugged in the usb port

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 4 posts.

21-Apr-2009, 07:05 AM #1
Solved: Computer will not boot with keyboard and mouse plugged in the usb port
Ever since I had a windows xp update and a firefox update one right after the other. My computer will not boot up with the keyboard and mouse plugged in. The computer boots up fine when I unplug them.
Does anyone have any ideas as to what is causing this?

Thanks for the help.
Computer Specs
Member with 136 posts.

Experience: Advanced
21-Apr-2009, 07:16 AM #2
hi ZTaylor

Check your BIOS to boot without checking for errors...try booting without any usb connected...do you have a ps2 keyboard? if it crashes when in windows when connecting usb ports..this means its a hardware problem..this also explains why it doesnt boot...if this is not the problem try setting your BIOS to default.

good luck!
Computer Specs

21-Apr-2009, 07:27 AM #3
Thanks for the fast reply. I do not have a pas2 keyboard, everything is usb. The computer runs fine once its booted up, i have had it on for days with no problems. Its just when those 2 things are plugged in, it stays on that black screen where it asks if you want to start windows in safe mode.

I am not sure what you mean by check your bios to boot without checking for errors.

Thanks for your help.
Computer Specs
Member with 136 posts.

21-Apr-2009, 07:36 AM #4
hum it boots into windows without the usb devices..(mouse and keyboard)?
when your are then in windows..connect the usb devices again..does it crash or works normally??

good luck!
Computer Specs

21-Apr-2009, 07:37 AM #5
yes, i just plug them back in and it runs fine.
Computer Specs
Member with 136 posts.

21-Apr-2009, 07:46 AM #6
your going to need to reset your BIOS...do you know how to do this?

I dont think its going to be possible with the keyboard..where you simply press F2 or DEL depending your system....at boot...to get into the BIOS..and look for set to defaults..

you may have to do it manually on your board...where you can find a jumper with the name BIOS or CMOS...a possibility is also removing your board battery and power supply and wait awhile...and boot again...

-------------------------
all usb ports?
have you tried indivual usb diveces, 1 keyboard then mouse..seeing if anything is fried....

good luck!!!
Computer Specs
Member with 3,732 posts.

21-Apr-2009, 08:41 AM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTaylor View Post
yes, i just plug them back in and it runs fine.
I would try opening Device Manager, expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers" and uninstall every controller. There may be other devices or Hubs listed, just leave them as they are. Just uninstall the controllers.

Next, unplug all your USB devices, then reboot. Windows will find the USB controllers, the "Found New Hardware" notice will pop up, and Windows will install drivers for the controllers, and finally tell you that your new hardware is ready for use. If you have several USB ports, it may go through them one at a time. Just wait until they are all accounted for.

Plug your USB devices back in, one at a time. Let the first one be recognized and pronounced ready, then plug in the next one, let it be recognized, etc. until you have them all reinserted.

Then reboot, and see if it reboots normally with the mouse and keyboard plugged in.
Computer Specs
Member with 136 posts.

21-Apr-2009, 08:53 AM #8
yes this could work..but what i have problem understanding, is that the usb devices work when connected after boot...try it..usb is plugin play works better connecting device with power already connected...

Good Luck!!!
Computer Specs

21-Apr-2009, 09:11 PM #9
I tried the device manager thing because that seemed easier. It did not work though.
Then I tried the unplugging battery and power supply.
THAT WORKED!

I want to sincerely thank both of you for taking the time to solve my problem.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!