Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Dell 610 latitude

(!)

jimmyosas has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Beginner
04-May-2009, 05:08 AM #1
Post Dell 610 latitude
hi there, thanks alot for reading this, this is my problem,

the pc = Dell latitude D610
Windows XP home
intel centrino

the problem =
when i boot it takes me to the page i have an uption to either enter in a safe mode or just the last pace windows wokred properly...this started as a result of when i was syhuting down the system and i had to remove the battery since the system hang after which i used the spare battery i had but still no start up when it start the windows logo it then goes back again to start up of notification that seems the system was shut down or windows encountered an error or the reset button was pressed etc...i then enter F12 to diagonise the system and the followoing information was passed

i run the dell diagnostics from the system setup and get this.

error detected on "start DST short test"
error code: 1000-0146
Msg: 0: IDE status failed, stats byte: 64 control code = 1 Msg: No additional Sense Infoormation.

also, at the end of the diagnostic it says
Test result = fail
error code = 1000-0141
Msg: No drive detected.

it further request i run dell drivers and utilities CD which i misplaced a long time...now getting such a Cd is now a problem...i need any assistance i can get as my office job for over a year is all in the system and i dont know how to go about it

ok, thanks for any help/addvice you can give me.

jimmyosas
Member with 52 posts.

Experience: Advanced
04-May-2009, 05:39 AM #2
If you have a the windows install disk boot from it and when prompted press "R" to launch the Recovery Console. When open execute the command "chkdsk". It sounds like the HDD may be going bad.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,732 posts.

04-May-2009, 05:56 AM #3
If it will boot into safe mode, run chkdsk /r

If it won't boot into safe mode, use XP installation disk to get in to the Recovery Console and run chkdsk /r from there.

Running "chkdsk" without switches will only report on the drive; it won't fix anything.
jimmyosas has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Beginner
04-May-2009, 06:17 AM #4
Thanks
Thanks for your swift response but i dont have any of the relevant disk due to office movement here and therand that resulted in misplacing all my disc for the system and i can't seem to get any from any retail market here due to the type as what is very common now is an hp system.

What do i do now and how to go about it.

Regards
Computer Specs
Member with 3,732 posts.

04-May-2009, 01:31 PM #5
Any OEM disk of the same editition will let you boot into Recovery Console; Home for Home, Pro for Pro, etc. as long as it is an OS installation CD and not a "recovery" CD.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!