Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

No unallocated disk space in Disk Management and can't create new partition.

(!)

Member with 158 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
08-May-2009, 08:58 AM #1
Question No unallocated disk space in Disk Management and can't create new partition.
I've a full system backup and 139 GBs of free disk space, but Disk Management won't allow me to create a new partition to restore the image because I don't have any unallocated disk space. Is my backup image useless?
Computer Specs
Member with 62,326 posts.

08-May-2009, 10:04 AM #2
Do you have a system backup? Or an image of your HDD? Why are you trying to restore it?

If you have an image, you would normally restore over your existing files. You'd wipe out the existing setup and restore the image in it's place. You would not do this through Windows, however.

Is the image on an external drive?
Member with 158 posts.

08-May-2009, 10:29 AM #3
I guess image of my hard drive. What's the difference? I use a program called DriveImage XML. Doesn't it require a new partition to restore the image? I wish you were right, though.
Senior Member with 3,362 posts.

Experience: More than enough to get myself in trouble
08-May-2009, 10:47 AM #4
System backup=a copy of whichever files you chose to back up
Image=Exact copy of the entire hard drive including files that are not normally backed up.

To restore a system backup, the changed files are simply copied to their original location. To restore an image, the entire drive is wiped and then overwritten with the new information. an image will usually require that the partition it is installed on be exactly the same size as the one that it was created on.

If you were to create a new partition and then restore an image to it, you would have 2 copies of the existing installation, one on each partition.
Member with 158 posts.

08-May-2009, 12:01 PM #5
It's an image. Could I restore the image without creating a new partition first?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
08-May-2009, 12:07 PM #6
Generally, the program that restores the image creates the partition since the partition is actually part of the image. It is not necessary that the new partition be identical to the old one and rarely is. It only needs to be large enough to hold all the data.

You'll have to read about the details with DI-XML. Generally, again, you boot from the recovery CD and just restore the image to the drive. It asks during restoration how large you want the partition to be.

But did you image just the system drive, the boot partition, and the restore partition (invisible), or just one of the partitions? If you imaged just the system partition, then it will only boot if the first, invisible boot partition made by the manufacturer is still there.

But don't give up hope. Even if you did it wrong, if the image is good, it can probably be restored. But if you removed the invisible partitions, you lost your Windws installation files and recovery, too. Not that it really matters if the image is good.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,732 posts.

08-May-2009, 04:24 PM #7
Why are you wanting to restore an image?
Member with 158 posts.

08-May-2009, 08:52 PM #8
Elvandil, it's an image of my C drive. The recovery partition is D. Didn't DIX include the boot partition in the image? Everywhere I read about DIX, it said to create a new partition, but since I've no unallocated disk space, I can't, can I?

I just want to know how to restore the image if that day comes.
Member with 158 posts.

09-May-2009, 05:18 AM #9
Here's what DIX has to say. Can somebody make sense of it?

Q. How do I restore an image back to a working state?

A. Note that you must put the image into an existing partition. If necessary create a new partition with Windows Disk Management first. You do not need to format the drive. The size of the partition you create will determine the size of the drive - for example if you create a 20GB partition and then restore a 10GB size image to it, the size of the drive will still be 20GB.

To restore an image to an existing partition, click Restore in the main program window.

Note on boot drives: If you want your computer to boot from the new partition you must set it to "active" with Windows Disk Management.

Does that mean I can insert my USB drive with the image, boot my BartPE rescue disc, and restore the system drive image to my C (system) drive, even though I've 139 GBs of unallocated disk space?

The image is about 7 GBs. Should I make the partition size the whole 139.xx GBs?

Last edited by VIP_EJC; 09-May-2009 at 05:33 AM..
Computer Specs

09-May-2009, 05:23 AM #10
In other words, the partition needs to be there before you restore the image. So you can use Windows Disk Management to remove the current partition and then create a new one. It does not need to be formatted--you can leave it blank.

But, if you have no OS to access the drive to delete the partition in the place where you want to restore, then you have to do it some other way.

A bootable partitioner will take care of that.

Partitioning Tools-->

Free:

In BartPE, you can use diskpart.exe from a command line. Easeus from the UBCD4Win.

EASEUS Partition Master (Vista-compatible)
Paragon Partition Manager 8.5-- PPM Special Edition serial and free registration
CloneZilla GParted LiveCD (Complete partitioning and drive imaging/restoration tools)
SystemRescueCD
Gparted LiveCD
Parted Magic
Vista Recovery Disk (Shrink, expand, create, delete partitions)
XP Recovery Console CD image (Create and delete partitions with diskpart.exe)

Commercial:

O&O Partition Manager 2 (Vista-compatible)
Paragon Partition Manager
Paragon Hard Disk Manager
Terabyte BootIt NG
Acronis Disk Director
V-Com (Avanquest) Partition Commander
EASEUS Partition Manager

---------------------------------------------------------------

It is very wise to figure this all out ahead of time. Many people have come here thinking they were all set because they had an image. But if you can't restore it, as they found out, it is worthless.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Since I'm in "advice" mode, try a different imager.

Macrium Reflect
PING (Partimage Is Not Ghost) (Free alternative to Ghost with more features)
Paragon Drive Backup Express
G4U - Ghost For Unix (Platform-independent, floppy or CD)
DiscWizard (For Seagate or Maxtor drives - contains reduced version of Acronis)

Most good imagers take care of the partitioning themselves. With Macrium, for example, you just specify where you want the image restored and it does all the rest, including making the partition if it is needed.

Last edited by Elvandil; 09-May-2009 at 05:30 AM..
Member with 158 posts.

09-May-2009, 05:54 AM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvandil View Post
But, if you have no OS to access the drive to delete the partition in the place where you want to restore, then you have to do it some other way.
My operating system is on the C drive. I would wipe that and create a new C partition? Doesn't DIX have all the pieces to the puzzle, or have I created a coaster? Are you telling me once I boot my BartPE rescue disc and restore the image, I'll have no access to the drive or Disk Management?
Computer Specs

09-May-2009, 05:56 AM #12
I've never used DXML, but it sounds from what you bolded above that you need to already have the partition there with that program. So unlike other imaging programs, DXML doesn't create the partition for you. So the one on the drive now needs to be wiped out before you can restore the image. And a new partition needs to be there waiting before you can use DXML.
Member with 158 posts.

09-May-2009, 06:06 AM #13
How's Macrium Reflect different from DIX?
Computer Specs
Member with 3,732 posts.

09-May-2009, 02:28 PM #14
Why do you want to restore a disk image???

Also, are you aware that when you retore an image, you revert everyting back to the date the image was made?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!