Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

2 issues: Can't Windows Update and Hanging on Reboot.

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 33 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
08-May-2009, 05:23 PM #1
2 issues: Can't Windows Update and Hanging on Reboot.
1. I've been trying to do a Windows Update from IE. Every time I do, IE hangs when the Windows Update page tries to load. Nothing loads in the browser window and IE becomes unresponsive.

I tried updating IE to IE8, but that did not solve the problem. Under IE 8, the spinning circle indicator continually spins and nothing ever loads in the browser window, although I can move the browser window around.

I also tried turning on Automatic Updates, but when I click on the button to activate them, the Security Center window locks up as well, same as the browser does.

2. For two days now, whenever I try to reboot, my computer hangs on the "Saving your settings" screen. I have to physically turn off my computer whenever I need to reboot.

I am running Windows XP Pro SP2, 2GB RAM.

Thanks!

Last edited by wootcat; 08-May-2009 at 05:47 PM..
Member with 5,648 posts.

08-May-2009, 05:58 PM #2
Is your antivirus program still updating its definitions? Some malware will block Windows Updates and some security websites. If you are having that problem you should probably use the 'Report' option and ask a Moderator to transfer your thread to the Malware Removal Forum.
Computer Specs
Member with 33 posts.

08-May-2009, 08:45 PM #3
I'm running Avast, and it appears to be updating fine, though, who ever knows when it comes to malware.
Member with 85 posts.

09-May-2009, 05:13 AM #4
I tried updating IE to IE8, but that did not solve the problem. Under IE 8, the spinning circle indicator continually spins and nothing ever loads in the browser window, although I can move the browser window around.

I also tried turning on Automatic Updates, but when I click on the button to activate them, the Security Center window locks up as well, same as the browser does.

Why do u need to upgrade IE? You want to research first if IE8 is completely ready - meaning no bugs or compatibility issues with certain tools. You only use IE as internet browser?

Computer Specs
Member with 33 posts.

09-May-2009, 08:24 PM #5
Quote:
Why do u need to upgrade IE? You want to research first if IE8 is completely ready - meaning no bugs or compatibility issues with certain tools. You only use IE as internet browser?
I thought upgrading IE might solve the problem. It did not.

And no, I try to avoid IE whenever possible. I use Firefox, but I thought I had to use IE to do Windows Update.
Member with 85 posts.

09-May-2009, 09:43 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wootcat View Post
I thought upgrading IE might solve the problem. It did not.

And no, I try to avoid IE whenever possible. I use Firefox, but I thought I had to use IE to do Windows Update.

Who told you that? I enable automatic updates on my computer. I don't think you even need any internet browser to do a Windows update.

Yes, Firefox is much better than IE. I use Firefox for the most part. For some websites as you might be aware, you have to use IE to have optimum functionality.

Computer Specs
Member with 33 posts.

10-May-2009, 01:39 AM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by garson View Post
Who told you that? I enable automatic updates on my computer. I don't think you even need any internet browser to do a Windows update.
Well, when I try to perform a Windows Update using Firefox, I get this message:

Quote:
To use this site, you must be running Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 or later.

And automatic updates apparently aren't working for me either.

Any suggestions?
Member with 85 posts.

10-May-2009, 01:54 AM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by wootcat View Post
Well, when I try to perform a Windows Update using Firefox, I get this message:

And automatic updates apparently aren't working for me either.

Any suggestions?
LOL. That doesn't have to do with Windows update. If you read my previous post, there are some websites which you need IE to be able to view. I said that most the time I use Firefox, while sometimes I use Internet Explorer (IE) for some websites. That's why when you see that message, you need Internet Explorer for the sites you want to view to function or open optimally. You see what I'm saying here?

G.
Member with 85 posts.

10-May-2009, 01:57 AM #9
Addendum to my previous reply. If you have Windows Operating System, whether it's XP or Vista (assuming that you have either of those), more likely you have IE. The latest version is IE8.

Going back to your question - are u actually having trouble upgrading your Internet Explorer?
Member with 5,648 posts.

10-May-2009, 07:25 AM #10
I am able to get Windows Updates with Firefox using the IETab addon/extension, not sure how it works but it does.

I don't use Automatic Update, just the 'Custom' option at the Updates site.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,732 posts.

10-May-2009, 10:30 AM #11
Visit my homepage and click on Fix Windows Update.
Computer Specs
Member with 33 posts.

10-May-2009, 11:39 PM #12
Quote:
LOL. That doesn't have to do with Windows update. If you read my previous post, there are some websites which you need IE to be able to view. I said that most the time I use Firefox, while sometimes I use Internet Explorer (IE) for some websites....You see what I'm saying here?
I see what you are saying. I'm saying that none of the methods I've tried to get Windows Update to work are working. Not setting Windows Updates to Automatic in the control panel. Not clicking on Windows Update in IE. Other than that, I don't know how to do updating.

Quote:
Going back to your question - are u actually having trouble upgrading your Internet Explorer?
I was. After letting my system "calm down" overnight, I was able to get IE upgraded and Windows Updating started working again.

Quote:
I don't use Automatic Update, just the 'Custom' option at the Updates site.
That's how I had it set. I didn't like the idea of Microsoft downloading whatever it pleased onto my system. I tried setting it to Automatic just to get it to work, at least once.

Quote:
Visit my homepage and click on Fix Windows Update.
Thanks. I'll bookmark that if I need it in the future.

Thanks for everyone's help!!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
hang, reboot, windows update, windows xp

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!