Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Sharing documents on Windows XP Home

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 52 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
18-May-2009, 05:10 PM #1
Exclamation Sharing documents on Windows XP Home
So, yeah. Me and my girlfriend share this computer and recently I became administrator. So we're both administrator's.

I heard that on Windows XP Home Edition you have to reboot the computer in safe mode, right click on the folder you want to access, click the security tab and grant yourself ownership to access it.

Well I did that and I was able to access her documents. Mainly for the reason to have access to her music. Well I did and it was great except she couldn't access her own documents. So I made her have ownership as well. So we both have full access to the documents but I can't play her music. She can't but I can't.

I've tried sharing the folder and nothing has sufficed. I've tried unclicking the checkbox for making it private and nothing.

Also one more side note, not really a big deal. But how do you install two different programs of Trillian on your computer? Because sharing connections is bothersome and confusing.

Thanks for the help!
Account Disabled with 457 posts.

Experience: Advanced
18-May-2009, 05:23 PM #2
Taking ownership will be given to only one user account. Gave her the ownership which you have done already now you can edit the permission and gave a full control permission to your user account with inherit permission to her documents folder.

reference 1
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308419

reference 2
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304040/
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
documents, home, sharing, windows xp

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!