Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: *** stop: 0x00000019 (0x00000020, 0x82574640, 0x82574680, 0x0A08000A)

(!)

Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Beginner
24-May-2009, 08:35 PM #1
Solved: *** stop: 0x00000019 (0x00000020, 0x82574640, 0x82574680, 0x0A08000A)
Hello,

I've just had the pleasure of fighting with the blue screen of death for the better part of the day. Earlier this afternoon, my Dell Latitude D600 - running Windows XP Pro (Build 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090206-1234:Service Pack 3)
- froze. Apparently permanently. The cursor wouldn't move, either by mousepad or by an optical mouse, and I couldn't use the tab key to select anything. I cold booted and and tried turning it back on, the power light came on and the caps lock light would flash a few times and then the laptop would power down. Only if I'd wait 10 - 15 minutes, would it boot up but only to freeze again. Finally I tried booting in safe mode. That's where the fun began. It froze. This is the entire message from the BSOD:

---
A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

BAD_POOL_HEADER

If this is the first time you've this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any Windows update you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** stop: 0x00000019 (0x00000020, 0x82574640, 0x82574680, 0x0A08000A)

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.
---

I've seen a bunch of fixes and suggestions, but not for all the parameters listed in the technical info and the specific situations don't seem to fit what's going with my laptop (i.e. I don't use it for gaming, I have an internal wireless card, etc.).

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!!!
Account Disabled with 457 posts.

Experience: Advanced
26-May-2009, 10:35 AM #2
Run Chkdsk /r from recovery console

Note To start the computer from the Windows XP CD-ROM, you must configure the basic input/output system (BIOS) of the computer to start from your CD-ROM drive.

To run the Recovery Console from the Windows XP startup disks or the Windows XP CD-ROM, follow these steps: Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.

Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.
When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console.
When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER. if you have administrator password enter the password
At the command prompt, type c:

Under command prompt c:\ type "chkdsk /r" without qoutes

For a list of commands that are available in Recovery Console, type recovery console commands or help at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

once the checkdisk completes restart the computer.

26-May-2009, 10:37 AM #3
If that fails perform a repair install of windows xp

26-May-2009, 11:10 AM #4
reference for windows xp repair installation.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917964
Computer Specs
Member with 3,723 posts.

Experience: Advanced in Networking
26-May-2009, 12:56 PM #5
You can also reinstall Windows if you have the recovery CD.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Beginner
27-May-2009, 09:13 AM #6
Hi and thanks for the replies!

To repair Windows with the recovery CD was actually my next plan; I needed a way to get the laptop on without freezing or flashing the caps lock light at me to do that, though.

With a little searching, I learned this was indicative of a memory problem and by pulling the RAM, cleaning the slots, NOT clipping the cards back in place (just seating them and securely tightening the cover) not only did the laptop boot up, but it ran without a problem.

Anyone know why this would happen? My thought is Windows went crazy because it thought the RAM went kablooey... I backed-up my data and was thinking of doing clean install. What do you guys think?
Computer Specs
Member with 3,723 posts.

Experience: Advanced in Networking
27-May-2009, 10:44 AM #7
It may have been the way the RAM was put in.
Anyway, you can mark the thread solved by clicking the "Mark Solved" button at the top of the page.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
bad_pool_header, bsod

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!