Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Windows Activation: Already activated but it still asks to activate.

(!)

Junior Member with 2 posts.

07-Jun-2009, 12:18 AM #1
Windows Activation: Already activated but it still asks to activate.
After many, MANY clean installs due to a misdiagnosed problem (it was a power supply issue, not a hard drive one) my stupid Windows CD key stopped being legit. I guess. I've been having to call in EVERY TIME to activate. Well the most recent reinstall made me lazy and I let the activation month period run down. I thought I'd do it at the last minute.. why not?

Well at 10 days my son asked why I hadn't activated. He said he could bypass the activation through Regedit and so I let him try.

BAD. IDEA.

The activation key in the icon bar disappeared and when manually opening the activation screen, it says it's already been activated. I thought I was good to go, but after a couple of days I started getting a countdown when I logged in. You know, You only have 5 days left to activate Windows.

I thought that was bizarre because I couldn't activate it otherwise, so I ignored it. Well today I've reached 0 and I can't log in. Period.

When I attempt to log in it says I need to activate, pressing no logs me out. Pressing yes opens the activation window that says it's already been activating.. pressing ok to that just logs me out and the same thing happens. I can still log into Safe Mode. Are there any fixes for this, or do I have to reinstall AGAIN?

I hate this so much.
Member with 1,937 posts.

07-Jun-2009, 12:22 AM #2
do a Repair Installation and phone MS when it comes to activating.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

07-Jun-2009, 12:45 AM #3
I would do a repair installation, but I don't have a repair installation disk.. which it always specifically asks for whenever I try to use that feature (and I have tried many times before). Maybe I just suck and I'm doing everything wrong. It would probably best to resintall before I f&^$ something else up. I am so pissed.. Windows, nothing but problems.

EDIT: Scratch that, I'm dumb. It's repairing the installation now.. hopefully it fixes it. But I won't get my hopes up
Computer Specs
Member with 9,028 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
07-Jun-2009, 01:53 AM #4
Welcome to TSG!

After you get this installed and activated, you might want to save the two files that activation creates.
Next tim eyou need to re-install, just restore those two files and you are done, so long as you haven't changed hardware too much>

[Link removed by mod. The article itself is fine, but there are undesirable links on the same page. If Jerry chooses to name the files to save and restore that will be fine.]

HTH

Jerry

Last edited by TerryNet; 07-Jun-2009 at 02:43 PM.. Reason: undesirable links within linked article
Computer Specs
Member with 9,028 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
07-Jun-2009, 11:24 PM #5
My bad, didn't read the whole page. That article is on several sites word for word and I just grabbed the first one I found. Thanks all for catching that.

Looks like this method may not work with XP with SP2 or later though. I tested this a couple of years ago, but it was with XP with no Service Pack, so I don't know if it will work with SP2 or SP3.

All the more reason to create a drive image, and use it to "re-install"

But here's the basics if you want to give it a try:

Copy the WPA.DBL and WPA.BAK files from C:\Windows\System32 to a floppy, flash drive, external, etc.
After re-installing, do not activate when prompted.
Reboot into Safe Mode, rename the current WPA.DBL and WPA.BAK files if they exist, then restore the ones you backed up.
Reboot, and Windows should be activated.
If not, you may have to restore the original files you renamed to activate.

Jerry
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!