Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Hard disk space being eaten up

(!)

Member with 100 posts.

16-Jun-2002, 02:10 PM #1
Question Hard disk space being eaten up
I use Windows XP Pro

I found out my hard disk space is been eaten up on a daily basis, and I did some snooping around in my hard disk.....

I went to Window Explorer/tools/folder options/view and turn off the "Hide protected operaing systems files"

And there it was in the root directory of Drive C, is a folder called "system volume information", and in it a sub directory called "retsore"...followed by I presume is my log in id, under this directory are A lot of sub folders named RP01, RP02, RP03 etc etc, looking at the dates of these folders, it looks like one foler is created per day, and when I look inside these folders, are backup copies of all the programmes, extentions, data files etc etc which the computer has accessed during the day, each day's folder is about 50Mb.

No wonder I am using up my hard disk space !!!!

The question is... can these folders be deleted, at least the older ones???
Slithy Tove
Guest with n/a posts.

16-Jun-2002, 03:08 PM #2
Search your "Help" for "System Restore". If this feature is activated it is taking periodic checkpoints so that you can roll your system back if you do something which casues big problems. I would not suggest that you knock those files out from under the OS. Learn how to work the feature, and you will also learn how to delete the files properly.

Last edited by Slithy Tove; 16-Jun-2002 at 05:14 PM..
Senior Member with 1,818 posts.

Experience: IT Pro since 1978
16-Jun-2002, 03:59 PM #3
System restore is a very useful utility and you would want to keep it, but you can limit the amount of space that it takes up quite easily.

Go to Control Panel (classic view). Open System, and change to the System restore tab.

Click on the drive you want to change the settings for, to highlight it, then hit the settings button. You can then either tick the box to turn off system restore for that drive completely (drives can be set individually) or move the slider control to the left to allocate less disk space to SR. The minimum you can allocate is 200 MB, which will only allow one restore point to be retained. The more space the more restore points you can keep. Choose a setting that suits your disk usage.

SR will discard restore points on an oldest first basis when its allocated space is used up.
Member with 100 posts.

16-Jun-2002, 05:43 PM #4
Thanks
Thanks for the info.

I have zipped all the unwanted backed up files and burned them onto a cd just in case I need them later.
Slithy Tove
Guest with n/a posts.

16-Jun-2002, 06:51 PM #5
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!