Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: IEXPLORE.EXE - Ordinal not found

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 41 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
20-Jun-2009, 11:00 PM #1
Solved: IEXPLORE.EXE - Ordinal not found
Something has happened to my internet launching. I cannot just click on a link in any email and launch IE. I must already have IE launched in order for the link to connect. It all started when I had to do a OS repair a couple of weeks ago. Can anyone help?
Computer Specs
Member with 45,855 posts.

Experience: I know when to fold em'
21-Jun-2009, 11:19 AM #2
Try re-registering all the .dlls covered in this article >>

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;q281679

Also, if you do not have Internet Explorer 8, I would update to that; whatever the problem is, this is most likely to fix it.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...r/default.aspx
Computer Specs
Member with 41 posts.

21-Jun-2009, 05:26 PM #3
This did not fix my problem. I'm not the computer wizard that some are but if I get instructions I follow along pretty good. I ran the regsvr32 command in the run command box for all of the files that were listed in the MS help page and I checked the registry entries in the register also. Everything is just as it should be.
I might tell you I recently did an OS repair on my computer due to the fact I was losing programs from Windows XP. After I did the repair I've had a few things be wrong (I will try and deal with those 1 at a time).
I'm afraid to upgrade to IE8 because I don't know if it will cause the system to crash or not. Do you think it's safe to upgrade? I don't know what version of IE I have on my computer.
Computer Specs

22-Jun-2009, 12:05 PM #4
IE updates are usually pretty safe unless you have serious underlying hardware or malware problems. I don't know what previous problems you had that required you to reinstall the OS. But you may have drive integrity issues. Have you run chkdsk on the drive?

Are you seeing "DISK" errors in the Event Viewer > System log? Run eventvwr.msc

If you don't want to try updating IE right now, you should also test the issue with a different User Account. Create one for test purposes, if necessary. But if the problem still occurs, it is something in IE itself.

To determine the current version of IE, open IE and select the "Help" tab, then "About Internet Explorer".

Another thing you can try is running sfc /scannow which checks integrity of system files and may automatically replace bad ones (no prompts), but you may be prompted for a Windows disk if it cannot find what it needs from existing caches.

Finally, I don't know what XP service pack you are running. You may have reverted after the "repair", since this returns the system to the SP level of the original disk. If you do not have SP1 or greater, you will need to start with that. If you have SP1 or 2, you can update to SP3

To determine the current SP version of your system, go to Start > run, and enter winver

Last edited by Rollin' Rog; 22-Jun-2009 at 12:16 PM..
Computer Specs
Member with 41 posts.

22-Jun-2009, 03:58 PM #5
I ran the event viewer. It looked like it has a record of about 30 days. I did not see anything that said "DISK" errors though there were errors about DCOM, Service Control Manager, MrxSmb, SRTSP, IPNATHLP, Dhcp, NetBT, W32TIME, (these were spread over the entire month). There were some warnings but most everything was listed as information. I don't have a clue as to what all that means.
My IE is ver 7
My Windows is version 5.1 SP3 (at least thats what the window said when I ran winver) I thought it was suppose to say XP SP3.
The only discs I have is a service pack 2 with XP Professional. The software was already installed on the computer from Dell.
I tried checking a link in my wife's email account on her user account and the 410 ordinal thing showed up there too.
Do you want me to copy an event log to a notepad file and attach it here so you can see what's going on?
Do I run the sfc /scannow from the run dialogue box also?
Computer Specs
Member with 41 posts.

23-Jun-2009, 09:43 PM #6
Rollin Rog,
I wanted to give you some more information.
I tried installing IE8 but it would not install. It said something about not being able to uninstall the previous version allready on the computer. So I began to search.
I have 2 drives. Most of the important stuff I keep on the C drive with pics and videos on the D drive. I had to do a repair of my XP os on the C drive and some how I copied all of my files to the D drive also.
Now here's the wierd thing. I don't remember installing both IE7 and IE8. On my C drive IE7 and IE8 is installed in the C:Windows folder. But I don't know how to launch the IE8. It's as if it really isn't there. I wonder what might have happened. When a person installs an upgrade does the upgrade usually delete the old version so there isn't problems? Just wondering.
Computer Specs

24-Jun-2009, 01:06 PM #7
The Winver data is the same as I see, so no problem there.

The version of IE you are running should have its files in the Program Files folder.

I don't know why or how you could be seeing both versions of IE installed. Does Internet Explorer show as an installed update in Add/Remove programs? If so, try removing what you see there. Try the removal or the new install from Safe Mode.

When IE8 is installed, normally it can remove any previous beta version, and should also be able to update from IE7 directly.

Only the most recent Event Viewer records would be relevant, and in this case they would probably be in the Applications log. You can just double click a couple of those, created after the error happens. There is a double - paper copy icon available for copying to the clipboard.

You can run sfc /scannow from the run dialog box. Have other windows closed or the progress bar will not be visible.
Computer Specs
Member with 41 posts.

26-Jun-2009, 10:28 AM #8
Here's what I see in C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer.
There is an iexplore.exe file.
When I highlight its properties menu it says it's file version 8.00.6001.18702 (longhorn_ie8_rtm(wmbla).090308-0339)
I was thinking this must mean it's IE8. But when I click the file it gives me the ordinal 410 error that I get when I am trying to open a link in an email file.
In the C:\Programs\Internet Explorer folder there is no IE7. Not even a .exe file for launching IE7.
But in my C:\WINDOWS folder there is IE7 & IE8 folders and IE7updates & IE8updates folders.
You had mentioned that Internet Explorer should be in my Programs folder. Is there something wrong here?
Computer Specs
Member with 41 posts.

26-Jun-2009, 10:33 AM #9
I also went into the Add/Remove program and only see Windows Internet Explorer 7 and several Windows Internet Explorer 7 - Software updates but no Internet Explorer 8.
Computer Specs

26-Jun-2009, 12:26 PM #10
I have IE8 on XP and this is the version from the properties Window in the Program Files folder: 8.0.6001.18702, just the same as yours

In Add/Remove programs it is seen as Windows Internet Explorer 8

In Windows there are both "hidden" and normal folders for both IE7 and 8, and updates folders for both.

If you have Internet Explorer in Add/Remove Programs, you can uninstall it. I would create and test a System Restore point before doing this.

If it is IE7 there, then you will be taken back to IE6 or whatever the previous version of IE was. If it is IE8, then you would go back to IE7

At that point you should be abe to update to IE8, but since you seem to have a mishmash of versions -- I'm not sure if it will even uninstall -- still I would try it.

edit It looks like you may need to uninstall SP3 to get where you need to go, have you tried that? It may or may not be worth the trouble, that has to be your call >>

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950719

My IE 8 was installed after updating to SP3, so that is why I have it in Add/Remove programs and you do not, apparently Previously I had IE8 beta

Last edited by Rollin' Rog; 26-Jun-2009 at 01:32 PM..
Computer Specs
Member with 41 posts.

27-Jun-2009, 09:50 PM #11
Well at this point I don't know what to do. I can't remove IE7 from the Add/Remove program, it doesn't give me an option to remove and when I try the spuninst.exe file that won't work either. I did a search for the file and apparently it's not there. It's as if another file's missing. This was what I began noticing a couple of months back, missing files and programs. I tried to even remove Service Pack 3 from the Add/Remove program and it wasn't there either. I don't know what's going on. I tried to do a re-install of XP to my computer back a couple weeks ago and it would not let me because it would always say the version on my computer was newer than the version I was trying to install. Yet I was using the CD that came with my computer. That's when I realized I had a CD with SP 2 but the computer had SP 3 on it.
Computer Specs

28-Jun-2009, 12:54 PM #12
Well you may need to think about a clean install then. I would backup whatever is important to you.

If this computer has a "hidden" partition backup -- you can reinstall from that. Otherwise you need the install disk and you would have to take the option to do a a format/install -- not a "repair" install.

However if the only practical issue is that you have to have Internet Explorer open before clicking a mail shortcut -- I personally would just live with it.

You might try changing your default browser to something else -- Firefox for example, and see if you can do an end-run around the IE problem.

The IE problem should also be tested in "no add-ons" mode >>

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/pc_ie_methodfour0100

Last edited by Rollin' Rog; 28-Jun-2009 at 12:59 PM..
Computer Specs
Member with 41 posts.

28-Jun-2009, 05:28 PM #13
Well here's an eye opener. I launched Firefox and checked the box that makes it my default browser. I then exited out browsing. I then went back into MS Outlook 2003, which is my email program and hit a link and wah-lah it launched Firefox with no problems.
It would seem as if it is definitely just a problem with IE. That was interesting to find.
I will keep Firefox as my browser if it does not give me problems. I like MS IE but there is definitely a problem. I wonder if I can even delete the program all together meaning all the files associated with IE7 and IE8. Then maybe re-install it from MS.
Give me at least one more feedback to this question and I'll look to mark this as solved. Even though it wasn't solved the way I expected it to be done.
Computer Specs

29-Jun-2009, 12:36 PM #14
I would leave the problem of trying to manually delete IE alone, although it is probably possible, I don't have any good links handy on how to do it and it would likely require registry deletions as well as the actual files themselves.

It is complicated by having the service pack install that you do not seem able to remove, and IE is integrated into that.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!