Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Problem: File Transfer: Crash

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 207 posts.

Experience: Advanced
01-Jul-2009, 03:35 AM #1
Problem: File Transfer: Crash
Hi.

I run Windows XP, and just checked drive C:\ (which contains my OS). That drive is okay.

The problem is, each time I intend to copy or move a file from one drive to another drive of my PC (external USB drives or internal IDE drives), the file transfer never completes, it always halts - mostly at the end of the last file (in case of several files). The file(s) cannot be opened at that time, I furst have to restart the system.

If I transferred via Windows Explorer, the Explorer crashes, too. If I transfer via the file browser of another program (WinRar, and drag'n'drop, etc.), that program crashes, too.

I feel helpless, because I cannot transfer any file anymore, without having first to restart the OS to complete the transfer or to remove the blocked file handle.

Help very welcome.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 2,584 posts.

Experience: I win some, I lose some!
01-Jul-2009, 05:16 AM #2
Hi!

Does it happen with any kind of file (something small, like a word document, or just larger files)? If you haven't yet, please try a small file (no video/audio files).

Start>Run... type eventvwr press ENTER. Click on "system" and you should get a list of warnings, errors and stuff. Now try transferring a file. When it crashes, go to "action>refresh". Now you'll probably see a new error entry, double click it and click on the copy button (underneath the two arrows) and paste the error message here. Or if it's shutting down, at least note the time of the error, so you'll know which one to copy later.

If you need to stop the shutdown process, you can try using this command:

Start>Run... shutdown -a

Do you have an antivirus installed and have you run a check?
Computer Specs
Member with 207 posts.

01-Jul-2009, 12:17 PM #3
Thanks for your answer.

Yes, AVG Free Home Edition is installed (and the free ZoneAlarm firewall).

It happens with any file size, even smallest files.

Even the END PROCESS in the task manager cannot close down the crashed files in this scenario. I can report that problem to Microsoft, but the programs won't close.

"eventvwr" - good idea, doing it. Will update this thread right after!
Computer Specs
Member with 207 posts.

01-Jul-2009, 12:20 PM #4
Already before having caused "intentionally" any crash, I see plenty warnings about "DHCP" (whatever that is).

----------------------

Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 001D928A7130. The following error occurred:
The semaphore timeout period has expired. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

-----------------------

However, that's relatively unimportant, I think, and I go ahead now and make a file transfer. Stand by for updates.
Computer Specs
Member with 207 posts.

01-Jul-2009, 12:29 PM #5
Okay, here now the update: I intended to move a WinRar file from drive M to Drive C. It seemed to come to completion, but then, when the transfer window was supposed to close, it didn't. It stand there for minutes, having reached 100%, but not closing. So the only thing I could do, was to cancel. The file is now on drive C, but I can't open it. It is also still on drive M, and i can't open that file either.

Interestingly, this event has not caused any error message or even any warning inside the "eventvwr" even viewer.
Computer Specs

01-Jul-2009, 01:28 PM #6
Start>Run... services.msc

Scroll down to "DHCP client", right click it and select properties. Set the startup type to "manual", click "apply" and then click "stop" (if the service is started). Copy a file (and you really should "copy" it, don't just "move" it)

Are you connected to a home network?
Computer Specs
Member with 207 posts.

01-Jul-2009, 04:06 PM #7
No, but via cable to an Internet network.

But DHCP is not even the main problem, but the file movements are.
Computer Specs

01-Jul-2009, 06:31 PM #8
Still, I think you should set it to manual and stop the service (or just restart the PC). You have no need for it, and it seems to be causing conflicts. And anyway, by setting it to "manual", it just means the service will only get started if it's needed - instead of automatically every time you start windows. And it could very well be causing the problem.

Do you have a Windows XP cd? Insert the cd, start>run... sfc /scannow (there is only one space, it's between "sfc" and "/scannow").

Can you disable your antivirus and firewall temporarily? They might be causing conflicts (could have started because of a recent update). Alternatively, you could try booting up in safe mode and try copying a file there. Make sure the windows firewall is off.

If this is a recent issue, you could try a system restore (start>all programs>accessories>system tools>system restore). If it's a software issue, that should fixit. Just be sure to select a date before this started happening.

A faulty RAM is also a possibility, you can run memtest.

Temporarily disable your paging file - control panel>system>Advanced>performance settings>advanced>change>"no paging file" - apply and restart you PC.

Last edited by zabusant; 01-Jul-2009 at 06:47 PM..
Computer Specs
Member with 207 posts.

04-Jul-2009, 05:50 PM #9
Wow! This is a number of good and promising ideas, I will go through each of them. Thanks for now.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
crash, file transfer, windows xp

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!