Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Windows XP Won't Boot Properly

(!)

Junior Member with 2 posts.

02-Jul-2009, 03:02 PM #1
Windows XP Won't Boot Properly
Hello all. I've been having a series of escalating problems starting a few days ago. This is going to be a long summary, but I'll try to keep it as brief as I can without leaving anything important out:

At some point, I noticed I couldn't access my Task Manager - when I hit Ctrl + Alt + Del I got a message saying the Administrator had disabled my access to the Task Manager, which is odd because I am the administrator.

I figured it might be a virus or some spyware/malware, so I ran scans for both. They found a few things, and quarantined/deleted them. However, the problem was still there.

I also noticed that I couldn't open My Computer - the system didn't freeze or crash when I clicked on the icon, it just didn't do anything.

I poked around online and found a way to get access to the Task Manager again, and found a suspicious-looking process called elg64kyt1o.exe running a few copies of itself. Whenever I tried ending the process, it would come back with two or three times as many instances running. At one point, I had over 350 copies of the process running, which obviously slowed down my computer quite a bit.

Sometime around this point, I got a BSoD, and am no longer able to boot normally, boot with Last Known Good Configuration, or boot in any type of Safe Mode. No matter which option I pick, Windows will start loading for about two seconds, then Blue Screen and restart.

I've tried using the Recovery Console for a few different things. CHKDSK /P and CHKDSK /R have told me that there is some kind of error, but won't tell me what it is. Bootcfg /Rebuild returns an error saying that the scan of Windows could not be completed, and tells me to run CHKDSK to find the error, which it doesn't.

I tried doing an in-place upgrade of Windows XP through the Recovery Console. This seemed to work at first, but when the computer restarted to finish the installation, it hung after a few seconds and then Blue Screened and restarted again, never finishing the installation.

I also tried a method of System Restore through the Recovery Console described here, and that seemed to work as well, as it allowed me to boot into Safe Mode after the first step or two.

However, when I went to do the actual System Restore in Safe Mode, I found that there were only two restore points listed, both of which were conveniently after this whole problem started. I tried the earlier one anyway, and the restore worked, but the whole booting problem remains.

Is there anything else I can try? At the very least, I could wipe the drive and do a fresh install, but I haven't backed it up in quite a while, so I'd at least like to get to a point where I can get some files off of it.

If there's anything else I can try in Safe Mode, I might be able to get back into it again by doing the first step or two in the process described in that link I mentioned.

Sorry about the lengthy post. Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Member with 114 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
02-Jul-2009, 03:29 PM #2
Yea sounds like a Virus or Trojan, that the scan just aren't picking up. With that many occurring problems the the most effective way would be to reconfigure. If possible you can make that a slave drive and backup any information that way. Or get a enclosure and backup that way.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

02-Jul-2009, 03:33 PM #3
Thanks for the reply ISDP. What do you mean by reconfigure?

And do you happen to have a handy or simple guide to slaving a drive to another computer? I've never heard of this before. Or at least not that terminology.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!