Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: XP file and settings transfer

(!)

Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 2,092 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
06-Jul-2009, 05:15 PM #1
Solved: XP file and settings transfer
I am trying to import files and settings from my old PC to a new one using a flash drive.
The files were collected and are on a flash drive File name USMT2IMG.Dat.
What is the procedure to get them on the new PC so they will be imported?

I copied the file and it is in My Docs but when I am asked where to look for the file it is
not there to select. I know it is there because I can open My Documents and see it.
Don't understand this at all. Any help appreciated.
ozziebeanie   (Serena) ozziebeanie is offline ozziebeanie has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 1,290 posts.

07-Jul-2009, 12:43 AM #2
Down arrow see if it will look for a different type of file if not maybe you might have to change the type of file to what it will recognise.

Or it needs to go to the folder it was in before or folder of same name in the computer you are moving it to
Computer Specs

07-Jul-2009, 08:13 AM #3
Well here is what I do.

I have the file USMT2IMG.Dat.on the Flash Drive created by FLASHW. I take the d*m thing to the new PC and insert it.
Go to My Computer>open the flash drive>find the file USMT2IMG.Dat.>right cl ick and copy then paste into My Documents.

Now I check to see if the file is indeed in My Docs and it is there staring me in the face
Yet when I run the FASTW the file does not show up to direct FASTW to import. When
I check the properties of the file it is not hidden either so that can't be the problem.
The general opinion is that this program is flaky and I am beginning to believe that.

I did run it sucessfully once by burning the file to disk on another computer. Must have
got lucky. Do you see a flaw in the way I am trying to accomplish this seemingly
impossibe task?
Senior Member with 1,249 posts.

Experience: Useless
07-Jul-2009, 08:22 AM #4
The Files and Settings Transfer Wizard may be just what you need!

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ovember12.mspx
Computer Specs

07-Jul-2009, 08:31 AM #5
What do you think I have been using my friend? What does FASTW mean?
Senior Member with 1,249 posts.

Experience: Useless
07-Jul-2009, 08:33 AM #6
Ouch ... OK, I will leave you with your problem.
Computer Specs

07-Jul-2009, 08:37 AM #7
Curly I still would appreciate any help you or anyone else can give me. I am just so
frustrated. Didn't mean to be disrespectful.
Member with 342 posts.

07-Jul-2009, 08:49 AM #8
FASTW = Files And Setting Transfer Wizard

To import them on the other PC you should be using the SAME version of FASTW as on the PC the backup was created.

When you create the backup create a new folder in which to place it then when you restore point to the folder rather than the specific file.

Let us know if this helps.
Computer Specs

07-Jul-2009, 09:35 AM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sludge3000 View Post

To import them on the other PC you should be using the SAME version of FASTW as on the PC the backup was created.

When you create the backup create a new folder in which to place it then when you restore point to the folder rather than the specific file.

Nope. Still no joy. I created a new folder and put the file in it. This is unbelievable and
as to the file version one doesn't know if that is a problem until the FASTW tries to
import the file and I haven't reached that point yet. I ran into that when I done this on another PC so I know what to do if that is a problem download KB 911895.
Member with 342 posts.

07-Jul-2009, 10:39 AM #10
Sorry lost you slightly in that last post. Have you tried to import the files and settings on the other PC yet?

One sugestion would be rather than copying the file create the file on the HDD i.e. C:\Transfer and then plug the HDD into the new computer and restore the fiels from there rather than using a USB to move them.

Neither the server admin or IT ops guy in my work have ever used FASTW. Have you considered manually copying the files you require and manually inputting the settings as this wizard seems awfully fiddly to use.

As my experience with FASTW is extremely limited and i am running out of ideas i don't think i'll be able to help much more with this one but hopefully someone else will spot this thread and have a magical answer Best of luck.
Computer Specs

07-Jul-2009, 02:06 PM #11
One sugestion would be rather than copying the file create the file on the HDD i.e. C:\Transfer and then plug the HDD into the new computer and restore the fiels from there rather than using a USB to move them.

Thank you sir for trying to help but I am not computer savvy enough to do this. Also I am
trying to help my neighbor do this. She wants to get a new laptop and certainly doesn't
want to lose a bunch of pics.

I have already managed to accomplish this on my new PC going a long route by burning
the file to disk but she does not have a burner. Oh well I will keep fumbling around and just maybe be successful. Thanks.
Computer Specs

11-Jul-2009, 09:48 AM #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sludge3000 View Post

Sorry to be so late getting back to you. The verson of FASTW was indeed the problem rather the file Migwiz.exe. It had to be updated with the Microsoft Hotfix KB 896344
Thanks much.
Member with 342 posts.

13-Jul-2009, 02:49 AM #13
Glad we could help. If your issue is now resolved pelase mark the thread as solved.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!