Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Netsh.exe message

(!)

Member with 46 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
08-Jul-2009, 11:37 PM #1
Solved: Netsh.exe message
My wife's computer started getting the following message today.

This application has failed to start because NETSH.EXE was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

The only change made to the computer was the installation of Real Player, and that went without a hitch. That was yesterday and this started today.

I tried doing a repair with the OS disk, but it was a no go. The message says that we're using an older version of the installed OS...but it's from the same disk.

What's going on and how do I stop this?
Senior Member with 1,249 posts.

Experience: Useless
09-Jul-2009, 12:33 AM #2
Maybe I am not understanding something. What application has failed to start?

Check Windows Event Viewer for any further information, and post whatever seems useful. Open a command prompt as an administrator and enter eventvwr.msc to open Event Viewer.
Member with 46 posts.

09-Jul-2009, 02:01 AM #3
I checked under Applications.
"Faulting application isafe.exe 8.0.8.0 Faulting module isafeserv.dll version 8.0.8.0 Fault address 0x00011790

Under UMX Agent, which doesn't fail all the time according to the log
Cannot open mailslot of Ask User client Product )x1 Session 0, Error )x2.

It's all a mystery to me. Any suggestions?
Member with 342 posts.

09-Jul-2009, 07:06 AM #4
isafe.exe appears to be part of eTrust EZ antivirus. Is this the antivirus you currently use on your machine?

netsh is a command line tool and is not generally known to be used by programs. It sounds like you could be infected. Try to run a full scan of your PC using your antivirus(if you have one installed) or you can download a free antivirus from AVG or Avira. Report back with the results of the scan and we can go from there.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 7 posts.

09-Jul-2009, 12:40 PM #5
NETSH.EXE error message also
I got the same error message this morning when I logged onto my computer, and I did nothing like downloading any software to cause this.
I did a complete virus scan on my system like was suggested to MichaelM6 but that did nothing. This just seemed to come from nowhere, and I am perplexed and frustrated by this message continuing to appear on my screen. Note that I am not having any problems running any of my applications. Can anybody tell me why this message is there and how to get rid of it?
Member with 46 posts.

09-Jul-2009, 02:11 PM #6
I ran a thorough scan with Avast and got nothing. I also ran Ad-Aware which also found nothing wrong.

Since this is a non-essential tool, is it possible to just get rid of it?
Computer Specs
Member with 9,028 posts.

09-Jul-2009, 03:11 PM #7
Check in Windows\System32 and confirm that netsh.exe is present.
If not, try copying it from the I386 folder on the XP CD, or the hard drive if it's present.

Are you saying eTrust EZ antivirus is a non-essential tool? If you are not using it, you can uninstall it.

netsh.exe is part of the OS. It's already missing, or can't be found, which is what is causing the error.

If netsh.exe is present in Windows\System32, it could be a path error.
Open a Notepad window
Right click My Computer, click Properties
Click the Advanced tab
Click the Environment Variables button
Under System variables, double click on Path
Press CTRL+C
Switch to Notepad, press CTRL+V
Make sure that these three items are listed, they are almost always the first three items:
%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;

If they are missing, add them at the beginning in Notepad, then copy and paste the line back into the Edit System Variable dialog in the Variable value: box.
OK back to the Desktop and reboot.

Jerry
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 7 posts.

10-Jul-2009, 08:55 AM #8
Wink I got rid of same message...
I finally discovered the nmctxth.exe refers to Network Magic (NM), which is the software that accompanied the Cisco wireless router made by Linksys that I had purchased about a month ago.

I re-loaded the software, actually a software update, and I was able to get rid of the NETSH.EXE error message right away.

Hope this works for you.

72Raiderman
Member with 46 posts.

10-Jul-2009, 04:28 PM #9
I tried uninstalling NM and the problem went away. I reinstalled it with the updated version and it came back. Either NM has developed an aversion to something that MS put on during one of their update orgies or it has developed a distaste for the endless stream of cute puppies and kittens that she gets from a crazy woman in Missouri.

Until I can find an answer, she's off the house network.

Thanks to all who responded.

Mike
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!