Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

My PC won't let me go to certain sites like paypal or anti-virus sites, Malware?

(!)

Junior Member with 9 posts.

02-Aug-2009, 05:00 PM #1
My PC won't let me go to certain sites like paypal or anti-virus sites, Malware?
Well, I have an extra PC which I would like to fix so I can make use of it.
Well, it happened when out of no where, I received those weird progams on my PC which are those fake Virus scanners and such. i then deleted it from the source, and ran my Nortan scan and my spysweeper, and they found nothing wrong with my pc.
Now, the PC will NOT let me go to "important" sites. For example, Bank of America, Paypal, anti-virus sites, Ebay, etc. But will let me go to sites like Myspace or forums. I had my favs on my toolbar as tiles so its easier to access them, i had about 10 of them, and now only 5 remain after the whole thing happened, and the 5 that were removed were "important" sites. Almost every thing on my tool bar was removed, including File, Edit, View, Tools, and such. My search engine is still displayed though.
Also, when I go on my search engine, each link leads to a ad site. What happened to my pc?
What can I do to get it up and running like before?
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 58,347 posts.

Experience: Advanced
02-Aug-2009, 11:18 PM #2
It sounds like something "nasty" has infected your computer. I wouldn't advise accessing bank sites and other confidential sites right now.

Go here and click the green icon to download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.39. After it's installed, run its update function to insure that the latest definition files are installed. Run a "quick scan" with it. When it's finished, select and allow it to fix everything it found. Restart your computer if prompted to. Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the scan log here.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Junior Member with 9 posts.

03-Aug-2009, 01:32 AM #3
Hey, thanks!
Well since the pc won't let me access any sites like that, can I put Malwarebytes on a flash drive and then install it from there?
And when you say "nasty", (which already is making me get all shakey, haha) do you mean something serious? Something that can end up being expensive?
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 58,347 posts.

Experience: Advanced
03-Aug-2009, 08:48 AM #4
Putting Malwarebytes on a USB flash drive and installing it from there won't be a problem. What will be a problem is that you can't go on-line after it's installed and get it updated with the latest definition files before you run a scan with it. You'll need to get the definition updates from an external source and then install them after Malwarebytes is installed.

Here is the link to download the definition updates into your USB flash drive. Install Malwarebytes, then install the definition updates, then follow my previous instructions.

Go here and click the green icon to download HijackThis 2.0.2 and save it on the USB flash drive. Install in its default location: C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HjackThis in the problem computer. After it's installed, run a scan with it - which will take 30 seconds or less. Save the resulting log in Notepad. Copy the saved log to your USB flash drive. Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the entire log here.

The log will show us what's installed and what's running in the background and what obvious "nasties" are present.

Last edited by flavallee; 03-Aug-2009 at 09:12 AM..
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!