Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Computer Desktop/Brower/Taskbar Unresponsive to mouse

(!)

Member with 123 posts.

03-Aug-2009, 05:59 PM #1
Computer Desktop/Brower/Taskbar Unresponsive to mouse
Hi,

I am having a strange issue. For some reason, the taskbar/firefox-internet explorer browser/desktop has become unresponsive to my mouse. I can move the mouse and all but if I click on a task or a icon on the desktop, most of the time, nothing happens (like if the icons/everything is frozen). My cpu is at like 5-10% and have ran antivirus scans/malware scans. I have even restarted the thing in safe mode and still getting the same result. However I have notice the keyboard seems to be majority fine (it does lag once or twice but not as bad as the mouse). Another explain is: I try to delete two files on desktop using the mouse by dragging the thing to the recycle bin, I can highlight the files and drag it but then nothing happens. (no delete confirmation box). If i hit the delete key, then it would delete.

System restore does nothing for me (I tried but it keeps failing for all the system restores I have tried).

So far, I have ran Symantecs Endpoint Antivirus Scan, Avast Antivirus scan both in normal mode and boot-up; Malware Antispyware Full scan in safe mode (still going on right now), Spybot (fully updated), CCleaner (Full clean in registry and temp files), Combofix (Nothing came up). This started happening yesterday (Sunday). Also ran Windows Update, Video updates and hijackthis to see if any new registry came up, nothing did.

Any ideas what could cause this or what is going on? I cannot afford a reformat on this pc because of what installed on it.
Senior Member with 1,249 posts.

Experience: Useless
03-Aug-2009, 11:19 PM #2
You can often toggle between links and buttons by pressing the tab button, space bar, or arrow keys, then select that item by pressing Enter. Essentially this allows you to work a PC without a mouse. Does this work for you? If so, it would suggest a problem with your mouse.
Member with 123 posts.

04-Aug-2009, 12:51 AM #3
Not the mouse cause I got both a wired and a wireless mouse plugged in. Alt+tabbing works but it still acting wierd. Another example is my taskbar icons, I can see them running but if I try to click on anything, I would get no response 75% of the time. Start Menu, if I can open it with the mouse, I can't click on anything, however if I hit the windows keys for the start menu, and use the arrorws, it would most most of the time (not all).

Not sure what going on, I have been running malware scans thinking that what causing it. It the strangest thing I've seen and I dunno what else to try.
Senior Member with 1,249 posts.

Experience: Useless
04-Aug-2009, 10:47 AM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterNe0 View Post
Not the mouse cause I got both a wired and a wireless mouse plugged in.
I do not know what you mean by that. But having two mice can cause conflicts. Why do you have two?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterNe0 View Post
Alt+tabbing works but it still acting wierd.
I do not know what you mean by that either. Define "weird".
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!