Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

DLLs and LoadLibrary

(!)

Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Architetect/ Adv Dev
27-Aug-2009, 06:31 AM #1
Post DLLs and LoadLibrary
Currently we have a problem which is a stopping point for us.

The goal was, to implement a java application.
This application uses an external 3rd party jar file which itself is a JNI wrapper to a C implementation (jar --> dll).
This dll is compiled using VS9 and references user.dll and kernel32.dll.

On my Vista machine the application works fine. The LoadLibrary command from java (in xxx.jar file) finds the implementation library (xxx.dll) and can forward all following command. to the dll. On my XP box I have the problem, that the java LoadLibrary command does not work. The command is rejected (java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError). After hours of diagnoses I came to the conclusion, that the dll refers to user.dll and user.dll after some dll references wants to load ieframe.dll. And here the XP based problem starts: ieframe.dll also load a few dlls which are not fully supported by XP or not available at XP (dwmapi.dll). I read a lot of articels about this issue but I could not find a solution which can be accepted as general solution for customer computers.
In most cases the dlls installed on my computer seesm to me does not fit together. Some DLL entries cannot be found (urlmon.dll, shlwapi.dll)..It is a typical developer computer with (most) of the MS updates.

a) Is there any chance to define a single (or a small number) of shared libraries to be responsible for such a problem.

b) What is the best way to diagnose the problem and to find out, which DLL is probably responsible.

c) What would be the best solution to fix the problem in general.

I don't believe, that MS accept such a huge number of open request for IE7/IE8 problems without clean solution. In the meantime I have deinstalled IE7 and IE8 - but ieframe.dll and all other IE based shared libs are still on that system - since it is part of my system.

Brain storming:
a) Possible solution could be based on registry settings to switch on/off components. Which settings?
b) Is there any chance to copy a few Windows shared libs to the application folder to simulate for that application a more simple environment. Some expereinces?
c) I sthere any other solution to load a shared lib from java. Dependency walker e.g. shows also a load problem but can load the dll. Why javas LoadLibrary fails?

I have found a lot of developers with similiar probelms - called DLL hell. With some help from other forum members I would like to find a general solution. Probably a MS guys can be involved. My systems can be used for testing.

Thanks for any help.

Matthias
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
dll, ie7, loadlibrary, urlmon.dll, windows xp

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!