Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Do desktop icons slow the system down?

(!)

Junior Member with 1 posts.

29-Aug-2009, 06:23 AM #1
Do desktop icons slow the system down?
A number of people have told me off for having too many desktop icons and tell me that that is slowing my system down. I was recently told to move the icons into folders on my desktop and that that would rectify the problem. I've always thought this was a load of rubbish but thought I'd better ask some experts before dismissing it entirely. I noticed that someone else had asked the question on this forum in 2002 and the answer was that it wasn't true but wondered if any new information has come to light on it.
Phantom010 has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 32,317 posts.

Experience: Advanced
29-Aug-2009, 11:35 AM #2
Too many icons will slow down your booting process a little.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 57,736 posts.

29-Aug-2009, 11:59 AM #3
I've worked on computers with 75 - 100 icons on the desktop, and at least 2/3's of them weren't being used or were dead links. Except for

My Computer
Recycle Bin
Internet Explorer
(unless you use a different browser)
Outlook Express (unless you use a different email program)

very few other icons need to be on the desktop. Most everything else can be accessed via the Start - All Programs menu.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Account Disabled with 16,918 posts.

30-Aug-2009, 05:35 AM #4
If there is a difference I wouldn't be concerned about it,,as it will be small.
I often work off the desk top and clean it later....never noticed a slow down
If your system is actually slowing down its not from the icons...that would be the last performance tweak to make
techkid   (David) techkid is offline techkid has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 2,312 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
30-Aug-2009, 06:35 AM #5
It does mean that Windows Explorer has to work that little bit harder at startup, but I don't think the difference is that great.

What separating your icons into different folders would speed up is your ability to find the program you are after.

That being said, all I have on my desktop is My Documents, My Computer, My Network Places, Recycling Bin, and Firefox. I run everything else from the Start Menu.
ozziebeanie   (Serena) ozziebeanie is offline ozziebeanie has a Profile Picture
ozziebeanie has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 1,286 posts.

30-Aug-2009, 07:37 AM #6
Never noticed any slowing down while working doing something, but I keep only the icons that I use mostly on the desk top and have a folder on the desktop of the ones I want but don't use as often, keeps it clean.

Never heard of Icons slowing the comptuer down, just how many icons have you got on your desktop?

Thanks Phantom010 never knew that it slows the booting process the more you have.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 57,736 posts.

30-Aug-2009, 08:20 AM #7
Jossie:

Excessive icons on the desktop aren't needed, but it isn't the culprit for computer slowdown.

What is the processor speed and amount of RAM in that computer?

When you press Ctrl-Alt-Delete to open Windows Task Manager and then click Processes(tab), how many processes are running?

It would help if you post a HijackThis log here.

---------------------------------------------------------------
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!