Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

what does compressing the C drive really do?

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Beginner
31-Aug-2009, 06:22 PM #1
what does compressing the C drive really do?
Hi, I have Windows XP. I have very low disc space and I just noticed the "compress NTFS drive" option in the properties of the C drive. I read the help topic on it and it says it might "decrease performance". I am concerned that doing this will make my computer even slower than it already is, or corrupt my images. I know there are things I can do about the slowness, but I'd like to tackle the disk space issue first. Can you tell me how compressing the C drive will affect slowness and wahtever files are on it? thank you so much.
Member with 11,761 posts.

31-Aug-2009, 06:41 PM #2
How much space do you have left on your C drive?

It is better to try and make more space by removing things you do not use or put them on DVDs or Cds
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 58,374 posts.

Experience: Advanced
31-Aug-2009, 08:55 PM #3
Do NOT select "Compress drive to save disk space".

You can start out by browsing the Add Or Remove Programs list in the Control Panel and uninstalling any unneeded/unused programs.

If you have a bunch of music/video files, you can burn them off to CD-R's and then delete them from your computer.

What's the hard drive size and how much free space is there?

--------------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Beginner
31-Aug-2009, 08:56 PM #4
It says I have 2.67 GB free and 23.4 GB used. I just managed to delete a program that it wouldn't let me before, that freed up most of it. My problem is a lot of the used space is music and I'm to the point where I can't add more music because it takes up so much room. I'm trying to eliminate as much unnecessary used space as possible. Also, my CD burner doesn't work, and I'd prefer not to have to buy more USB drives (I already have 3 as backups and storage). I just want to know if compressing will make my computer slower or screw up my files, in which case I should look for other options.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 58,374 posts.

31-Aug-2009, 09:04 PM #5
Watch your terminology. You don't "delete" a program. You uninstall it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Right-click RECYCLE BIN, click Properties, move the slider from 10% to 3%, then click Apply - OK.

Right-click MY COMPUTER, click Properties - System Restore(tab), move the slider from 12% to 3%, then click Apply - OK.

Restart your computer afterwards. That'll give you a little extra hard drive free space.

You should burn off those music files to one or more CD-R's so you can free up all that hard drive space. You can insert the CD-R's and play your music files from there.

raybro   (Ray) raybro is offline raybro has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 5,820 posts.

31-Aug-2009, 10:51 PM #6
You should seriously consider replacing you failed CD burner with a DVD burner. Way better and you can burn CD's with it too. When (not if) you NEED a functioning CD/DVD drive, you will have more appreciation for having one. Good prices available form Newegg. Be sure to order the correct interface (SATA/eSATA/IDE).

Raybro
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!