Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

XP Pro SP-2 Won't Install

(!)

Junior Member with 17 posts.

17-Sep-2009, 03:01 PM #1
I have a Gateway P4 CPU running at 2GHz w/ 256MB RAM. My OS is Win XP Pro.
I tried to install SP-2, but when the popup screen stuck on "Inspecting your current configuration" for over 4 hours, I canceled the install. Anybody got any idea why the installation of SP-2 is hanging at the screen that says:
"Please wait while setup inspects your current configuration and updates your files"?
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 57,904 posts.

Experience: Advanced
17-Sep-2009, 03:17 PM #2
If that computer has only 256 MB of RAM, it's going to run like a snail. It's also going to suffer lag time and bog down - depending on what you're doing with it.

I strongly advise you to increase the RAM amount to at least 1024 MB. I have a Gateway 500S(E4000) desktop with an Intel Pentium IV 2.00 GHz processor that supports 2048 MB of RAM, so I'm pretty sure that your old Gateway will support 1024 MB.

Can you advise what the model name and model number is?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is it currently running XP Pro(original version) or XP Pro SP1?

If it has SP1, you can upgrade straight to SP3 and bypass SP2.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

17-Sep-2009, 06:44 PM #3
I misspoke/mistyped, I have 512MB RAM. I've got SP1 installed. Model name and number are Gateway E-4650 4000779, desktop version. Don't have the funds for RAM upgrade.
Thanks for the advice on SP3. I may try it.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs

17-Sep-2009, 07:49 PM #4
Here is the on-line manual for the Gateway E-4650 desktop. You might want to save this site in your browser favorites list for future reference.

I'm glad to hear that it has 512 MB of RAM instead of 256 MB because it unfortunately uses expensive PC800 RDRAM modules. According to the MEMORYX site, it would cost you about $200.00 to increase it to 1024 MB.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The full 316 MB SP3 upgrade can be downloaded from Microsoft from here. Once it's downloaded and saved and burned off to a CD-R, you can install it in any computer that needs it - including yours.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,131 posts.

17-Sep-2009, 09:13 PM #5
You will be much better off if you format the hard drive and install Windows fresh before upgrading to SP2 or SP3. I'm assuming that your XP SP1 has been gathering registry corruption and other "junk" for some years now.
Computer Specs

18-Sep-2009, 08:34 AM #6
I usually do a full SP3 upgrade after formatting a hard drive and doing a fresh install of XP SP2.

As old as your computer is, and with all the outdated and useless stuff that it's collected over the years, I agree that getting that computer to a pristine condition would be a good idea.

---------------------------------------------------------------

18-Sep-2009, 11:19 AM #7
Thank you flavallee & TerryNet,
I've got my HD partitioned into 3 partitions, with the OS on the C: partition. Would I have to reformat the whole drive or just the C: partition?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,131 posts.

18-Sep-2009, 12:42 PM #8
Only the C: partition needs to be reformatted.
Junior Member with 9 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
18-Sep-2009, 02:52 PM #9
Hello everyone. I'm new here and have a similar question to the original in this thread.
What happened was that one of my desktops had a pretty nasty virus for a few days. I tried running as many anti-virus, malware, spyware, trojan programs in Safe Mode to no avail. I came to the conclusion that I should do a fresh XP install (SP2). Everything was fine after re-formatting and installing until I got to the "Installing Network" segment with "32 minutes approx remaining". The first time I waited well over 40 minutes and nothing happened. I restarted and started over with a re-format and the same thing happened.
I've tried everything I can think of:disconnecting the ethernet, removing all my expansion cards, making sure all of the on-board devices were enabled in the BIOS. I've even installed Ubuntu and set up a partition and then tried to repair the Windows installation with the setup disk and this, obviously didn't work.
What am I doing wrong? I contacted Microsoft via live chat only to be directed to the $59 chat. I'm not paying $59 to chat with Tech (just yet.)
Any help or insight would be great.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,732 posts.

18-Sep-2009, 03:12 PM #10
DoubleL,

You should start your own thread, please. It saves much confusion.
Junior Member with 9 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
18-Sep-2009, 03:17 PM #11
OK. I apologize.

18-Sep-2009, 05:07 PM #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryNet View Post
Only the C: partition needs to be reformatted.
Thanks TerryNet.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!