Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

rdbss.sys Blue Screen

(!)

Member with 55 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
31-Oct-2009, 11:48 PM #1
Unhappy rdbss.sys Blue Screen
Hi guys,

I often get pop messages in Windows XP stating a "Windows Delay Write Error". This happens usually right after my wireless connection has failed and after prolonged times of computer usage (Word writing, Acrobat reader, and web browsing mostly).

NOTE: I do not know if the wireless connection fails because of an internal error, or if the internal error is produced by a wireless interference.

After clicking the 'Ok' on all the pop error messages, office applications exit automatically without saving my recent work. I can still use the working space (keep reading PDF documents or browsing the web) but not without getting those error messages again, which forces me to restart the computer.

Trying to restart the computer inevitably takes me to a Blue Screen of Death that says that an error occurred due to a rdbss.sys malfunction.

The Blue screen also contains this stop message:

STOP: 0x000000D4 (0xA81F50B8, 0X0000001C, 0X00000001, 0X80502CCC) rdbss.sys

I consulted a few web sites where they recommend replacing the corrupted rdbss.exe file, which I have done... but did not solve the problem.

Others recommend uninstalling all services related to Mac applications, such as iTunes, AVI to MP4 converter, QuickTime, Apple Mobile Devices, Bonjour Services, iPod services, and/or Webcam drivers... I have not uninstalled those programs, but have changed the Startup status of all those services to 'Manual' instead of 'Automatic', as they used to be by default.

I have updated all possible drivers in my computer using 'Driver detective' software...

I am still getting the Blue screen with the rdbss.sys error message.

How to solve this problem?
Computer Specs
Member with 45,855 posts.

Experience: I know when to fold em'
01-Nov-2009, 11:16 AM #2
It's probably the "delayed write" error that you want to be investigating.

Do you have the latest XP service pack?

When these errors happen, is the system writing to an external USB drive? If so, then there may be a problem with that drive.

It could be caused by a general system slow down -- so you might want to consider possible overheating as an issue -- or exhaustion of memory resources which would slow the system.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330174

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...led%22&aqi=g10
I would also test this issue without the wireless connection -- if it is always wireless related then you need to update your drivers from the vendor's site, ensure you are close enough to the router for a good signal -- and even possibly rule out problems that can be caused by installed (non windows) firewalls if you have one.

Last edited by Rollin' Rog; 01-Nov-2009 at 11:22 AM..
Member with 55 posts.

01-Nov-2009, 05:53 PM #3
Thank you.

I have the latest Windows service pack and updates.

There have been no USB drivers plugged to the computer whenever the problem has happened.

I have 2 GB of RAM memory... however, I usually give the computer a hard time going back and forth from one page to another while browsing. For example while using public databases, I jump from 'search' to 'results' and then back to 'search' hundreds of times within a single session... the browser (Firefox), followed by Word, are always on top of the list of the highest 'memory consumers'.

The computer (Lenovo SL500) does not get hot at all, and I clean it with pressurized air every once in a while, so dust does not build up inside it.

I will look into the Delay Write Cache thing, turning it off and on to see what happens. I will post later if something comes along.

But alternative solutions are welcome so far.
Computer Specs

02-Nov-2009, 08:41 AM #4
When you think you are maxing out on the resources with all those actions, open the Task Manager, select the "performance" tab and see what the highest figures are that you can get for the following:

Physical Memory

Total: this is your total installed ram -- "physical" memory
Available: this is the amt of real "physical" memory presently uncommitted

Commit Charge

Total: this is the combination of total physical and virtual memory currently in use
Limit: this is the total physical and virtual memory available
Peak: this is the most you have had in use in this session
Member with 55 posts.

02-Nov-2009, 05:27 PM #5
Helpful little tip.
I will do it.
Thanks
Computer Specs

03-Nov-2009, 12:08 PM #6
Generally speaking you do not want to see "Peak" or "Total" approach the value of installed memory. When that happens excess drive paging can occur to compensate for the shortage of "real" memory.

And you want to see as much "available" ram as possible for best performance. Low values here are bad.
Member with 55 posts.

07-Nov-2009, 01:59 AM #7
It's been four days without ANY blue screen... and I didn't do anything...

However, I have been shutting down the computer after a long sessions, instead of keeping it between ON and STAND BY for days.
For example, I used to start a session in my office, and then put the laptop in stand by mode, take it home and keep using it there without restarting or shutting down. By doing that, I could tell that some privileges that I would have within my office's network (that I do not have at home) were still active. For example, I could access scientific journals without going through the log in page... It seemed strange to me because I obligatorily have to log in to use those services if accessing from home, but not from the office.

I would get a blue screen after some days of using the computer in this way (ON / STANDBY repeatedly), and I am suspicious that switching networks could have 'confused' or 'saturated' the Windows Delay Write thing, which eventually would turn things off and start acting up...

I've also been checking on the memory tips stated above. It is usual that, when looking at the task manager on the 'performance' tab, in COMMIT CHARGE (K), 'peak' is always higher than 'total'... does that mean anything?
Also, if I ask the task manager to display the 'Kernel times', there is commonly a huge red peak that brings the CPU usage to a 100%... does that mean anything?

I am happy that the computer has not given me trouble lately, but if I run into it again, I want to know how to detect the source and do something about it.

Thanks

Last edited by hberaldi; 07-Nov-2009 at 02:07 AM..
Computer Specs

07-Nov-2009, 02:04 PM #8
Yes it really isn't the greatest idea to rarely reboot as this is sometimes the only way to free memory. Generally well behaved programs release all their memory when closed -- but this is not always the case, and it is also possible that this can cause paging faults if the virtual memory is out of sync with the program. This cached memory is not necessarily freed when the program is closed.

Rebooting is the best way to get a fresh start.

Unfortunately troubleshooting these things is often just a process of elimination.

One could use "clean boot" troubleshooting if the problem is frequent and predictable, but in cases where they are not, this would not work -- it requires rebooting each configuration change anyway, so in your case you would never find the source.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
blue screen, delay write error, rdbss.sys

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!