Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

services.exe taking huge amounts of memory!

(!)

Member with 11 posts.

21-Nov-2009, 02:30 AM #1
services.exe taking huge amounts of memory!
Hello. I have had my computer (custom built) for about 1.5 years now, a few problems, nothing major.

However, today, after a long fight with a game to get it to work with the mod I had downloaded (for the game, not modifying any windows files) I find that services.exe is taking a massive amount of memory.

Usually, this process takes about 5-25k. However, upon a restart when my computer locked up (first time in MONTHS) I open task manager, and find it's taking 1,214,706K (fluctuating) Ram! It doesn't increase as I've heard it do for others, just sits wherever it is when I start up. The amount changes on startup when I reboot, but never below 75k and mostly in three bands-- 500-550K, 700-800K and 1,200,000-1,300,000K.

Also of note, it returns to normal when I loaded in safe mode.

I uninstalled the game and mod, no reaction. I don't think it's a virus, though I'm running my checker when I can.

OS is windows XP professional, Service pack 2 (I'm trying to get it to download SP3, just in case that helps)

I've never had this problem, and have not installed any drivers, firewalls, etc recently. Only that game/mod.

I also used process explorer, I didn't see any process with an unusally high ram usage to account for it... I'd post a screenshot, but I don't know how here. I'm just literate enough to use a help function, not enough to know what's wrong.

Some research I did online suggested error logs, and one did come up often-- Service control manager/atimtag, under "system" and WGA setup/ccScvHst under application. I've tried clearing logs and cutting down the amount of space they can use, nothing. I'm wondering if removing that space entirely will fix it, though dropping it hasn't had any noticable effect.

I've tried everything I know, and it's 0230 in the morning, i need sleep,and I leave this message in a bottle, in the hopes I can get some aid when I need it. I'm not too savvy, so anything beyond "click this" assume I'm dumb, especially with links, as my machine isnt' fond of me and the internet right now.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
services.exe

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!