Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

XP "deleted" photos off my SD Card! Help!

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Beginner
21-Nov-2009, 07:03 AM #1
XP "deleted" photos off my SD Card! Help!
I got back from Egypt the other day and put my holiday snaps into the PC with an SD card. Upon startup, Windows requested a "highly recoomended" disk check. I accepted, then, when I opened up the SD card, the photo folder was empty and a file had been created next to it with the same name as the folder... when I open the now useless folder, a box pops up saying "H:/DCIM is not avaliable. The directory name is invalid". A readme file also appeared. How do I get the photos back?!

(copy of readme

Checking file system on H:
The type of the file system is FAT.

One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency. You
may cancel the disk check, but it is strongly recommended
that you continue.
Windows will now check the disk.
Unrecoverable error in folder \DCIM.
Convert folder to file (Y/N)? Yes
Convert lost chains to files (Y/N)? Yes
109264896 bytes in 145 recovered files.
Windows has made corrections to the file system.

508608512 bytes total disk space.
16384 bytes in 1 folders.
109281280 bytes in 146 files.
399310848 bytes available on disk.

16384 bytes in each allocation unit.
31043 total allocation units on disk.
24372 allocation units available on disk.
Computer Specs

23-Nov-2009, 03:22 PM #2
oh come on people! you must know something!
zyper95 zyper95 is offline zyper95 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 881 posts.

Experience: More than I know
23-Nov-2009, 04:17 PM #3
Can you still see the pictures if your plug the SD card to your digital camera?
Computer Specs

24-Nov-2009, 12:09 PM #4
nope, it says no image on the camera screen... I guesse the camera can't open the file
Computer Specs
Member with 335 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
24-Nov-2009, 01:40 PM #5
Maybe you can use this: www.photosrecovery.com but Im not sure
Posted via Mobile Device
Computer Specs

24-Nov-2009, 03:30 PM #6
thank you for the link. unfortunatly the software seems to be made for photos lost because if formatting a disk/card... my photos are essentially still there, just turned into one file :-(
Senior Member with 836 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
24-Nov-2009, 04:21 PM #7
When you downloaded the pics to the computer, did you use the card reader in the computer or hook the camera up with a cable? If you used the card reader, try putting it back in the camera and using the cable if you have one. Could be a card reader/driver for it problem.
Junior Member with 3 posts.

04-Dec-2009, 05:47 PM #8
Most likely that the pictures are still present on the SD card and the entries are deleted. You should be able to recover all of the photos easily.
Try a photo recovery software - Adroit Photo Recovery - http://digital-assembly.com/products...hoto-recovery/

They have excellent reviews on NYTimes - http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/01/business/01novel.html
Junior Member with 3 posts.

07-Dec-2009, 03:01 PM #9
Missed adding a very important point in the previous post - Here it goes. With Adroit Photo Recovery, there is a feature to not trust the File System and a feature to run disk images. You could choose to run the single file seen as a Disk Image with the Trust File System Option Turned Off. This should essentially get back all your files.
thanks!
Junior Member with 23 posts.

08-Dec-2009, 06:40 AM #10
It's more than likely that the photo image data is still on the card as long as nothing else has been written to it in the meantime....

When photos (or any files) are deleted (or as in this case 'lost' by the operating system) from a memory card or USB memory device the data itself isnít normally deleted, just the file system pointers that says where the data for the image files is located. The area where the deleted photo data was stored is also now marked as free space so it is available to the system for any new files to be written there instead.

If and when that happens, then it is too late to recover your deleted pictures so it is very, very important that new pictures or files arenít saved to the memory card in the meantime.

One of the easiest ways to see if your deleted pictures can be recovered is to try some photo recovery software.

One tip is to try a demo version of a good commercial product that will scan the memory card for deleted pictures and show you exactly what pictures can be recovered.

That way you can see if you can recover the deleted photos or if itís too late already. You can find more useful information on how to recover deleted photos from a memory card here.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
lost photos, sd card failed

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!