Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

What is 205.171.3.65:DNS?

(!)

Junior Member with 19 posts.

25-Jul-2002, 04:43 PM #1
What is 205.171.3.65:DNS?
Hi,

1. I am using the XP home edition. When I connect to the internet by MSN, my system file svchost.exe go to the above IP very often, and it also accept connection from the above address. What is the 205.171.3.65NS?

2. After install a firewall, I got a strange question yester. "Do you want to allow to access to the internet?" I don't know what is the program was asking for access the internet. And also:

Destination IP: 205.171.3.65NS
Filename:
Version:

What this mean? Normally they will give the program name, the filename and version which was asked. But, that one no program name, no filename, no file version, only a destinatopn IP. What should I do?

3. When using the firewall, I don't know what to allow or accept, and what don't. Should I allow Generic Host Process to act as a server? Which I can allow to act as a server? Should I allow it accept connection from the internet?

Thanks.
Junior Member with 19 posts.

25-Jul-2002, 04:51 PM #2
Why the "D" in my above post looks like that?
Senior Member with 1,818 posts.

Experience: IT Pro since 1978
25-Jul-2002, 05:11 PM #3
Thats the address of a DNS server called resolver.qwest.net.

When you go to a web site by name your browser has to resolve the name to the IP address of the server you are going to. To do that it refers to a DNS server, and it does it for every new web site that you go to. This is probably your ISP's own DNS server.

Without knowing what the file name is of the program accessing the net its hard to advise you. Have you recently installed any other programs that might need net access? I would allow access for now, but then download and install Ad-aware to check for spyware on your system and remove it. If the program still needs access to the net after running adaware then its probably a genuine program.

And your post looks like that because smilies are enabled in your post. A : and a D make .

To stop this happening you tick the box near the submit button which says disable smilies in this post.
Slithy Tove
Guest with n/a posts.

25-Jul-2002, 08:02 PM #4
Mister Scott, are you certified to consult on the activation and behavior of Smilies ?

You can also user a lower-case "d"... as in :dns

Just to add a simple analogy to Nick's excellent explanation...
Giving your browser the name of a web=site to load is a little like someone giving you their name to call on the telephone. If you do not know their number you have to go to the phone-book or directory-assistance because the phone only understands numbers. Your browser can only find a page using an IP address. If it does not have that address it must use its version of directory-assistance which is a DNS server.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!