Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Repeated crashes - "SYMEFA64.SYS" error?

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 28 posts.

Experience: Beginner
17-Dec-2009, 06:59 PM #1
Repeated crashes - "SYMEFA64.SYS" error?
So I hopped onto my computer this morning and did the same thing I do every morning, which is to say nothing special. I maximized a browser and logged onto my favorite blog while I ate breakfast. However after a few minutes the computer crashed with some form or blue screen that I'd never seen before.

The screen read that an attempt had been made to write to the read-only memory and so it had to force a crash in order to protect the system. It then proceeded to initiate a physical memory dump and when it finished... well it just sat there until I rebooted as it instructed me too.

Additionally it stated that it thought the problem was related to a recent software or hardware installation and to make sure any hardware was connected properly, or that if the problem persists to uninstall any recently added apps or devices. Problem is that I've not installed anything on my PC in ages and this problem seems to only have spontaneously started this morning. I hadn't even turned the computer off lately and I wasn't visiting any unusual places when the first crash happened. It was 100% buisness as usual.

Before I get into system details and such I'd like to give a few other tidbits first. I tried several reboots, but any time I don't boot into safe-mode, where I'm posting from now, the computer loads normally but after no more then five minutes, sometimes immediately, it repeats the exact same process as above.

So going into safe mode I've run scans with both AdAware v8.1.2 as well as Norton 360, both of which turned up nothing. I then tried a system restore to a saved point from last week. Didn't help either.

-System Specs-
Processor: AMD Phenom 8550 Triple-core 2.20GHz
Memory: 4 Gb Ram
Computer is just an off the shelf HP boxed unit. Model number a6702f.

My last reboot in safe mode netted me this error report:

"Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
Locale ID: 4105

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: be
BCP1: FFFFF880009F6000
BCP2: 80000000C012C101
BCP3: FFFFFA6001B77260
BCP4: 000000000000000B
OS Version: 6_0_6002
Service Pack: 2_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini121709-02.dmp
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-43539-0.sysdata.xml
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\WERAEC5.tmp.version.txt"

Additionally I jotted down some of the technical jargon from the blue screen itself, means nothing to me but hopefully it'll help pinpoint the problem.

SYMEFA64.SYS
An attempt was made to write to read-only memory.

Technical Information:
*** STOP: 0x0000000BE (0xFFFFF88000D4A000, 0x80000000c1350101, 0xFFFFFA601B7E1B0, 0x000000000000000B)

*** SYMEFA64.SYS - Address FFFFFA6000B37B00 base at FFFFFA6000B04000, Date Stamp 4a414ea7

After that it'd initiate the "crash dump", I think it was called, and then proceeded to dump the physical memory to disk.

I'm a bit out of my depth here, I mean look at what kind of PC I'm using, but I'm hoping someone can lend a hand. I'm good at following technical instructions at the very least
Computer Specs
Member with 1,756 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
17-Dec-2009, 07:36 PM #2
SYMEFA64.SYS has to do with Norton.

May want to get some info here:
http://www.symantec.com/en/au/norton/support/index.jsp

Or uninstall Norton and go with another antivirus such as Avast, AVG, or Avira.

Norton uninstall utility can be downloaded here: http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...05033108162039

Just a suggestion.
Computer Specs

17-Dec-2009, 07:43 PM #3
So... you're suggestion is to uninstall my anti-virus software? I mean I paid good money for that program, and it's worked up until now just fine. Isn't there some kind of actual fix for the problem? Besides isn't Norton supposed to be one of the best commercial anti-Virus programs?
Computer Specs
Member with 1,756 posts.

17-Dec-2009, 08:50 PM #4
Norton is a good product but it has a tendency to be rather bloated and can cause problems. Avira and AVG (free versions) rank right up there with Norton according to antivirus testing and don't seem to cause as many problems.

I understand about the cost of Norton. You might try uninstalling Norton completely using the uninstall tool and then reinstalling Norton. Be sure you have your product key when reinstalling.

Also look in Add/Remove programs to see if Norton has a repair feature. If so, a repair may work. Problem could be due to a corrupt or possibly missing file.

You may also want to go to the Norton site and see if you can get some help from there. After all, you did pay for the support service.

You may also want to keep this thread going and get a second opinion. I had Norton on my system and got rid of it due to problems such as you are having, but that was a long time ago and am not really familiar with the newer Norton products.
Computer Specs

17-Dec-2009, 08:52 PM #5
Ok so I've tried completely uninstalling Norton now then reinstalling it from the beginning.

The computer just crashes with a blue screen, and the same memory dump, as before only this time it's during the installation process. So now I'm not even sure if Norton is installed properly or not.

I think I'm just going to stop trying to fix it and hope someone will come with some advice less I screw things up even more.
Computer Specs

17-Dec-2009, 08:53 PM #6
I appreciate the suggestions. If I can't get it working I suppose I'll just, eventually, remove it entirely and go with AVG. But for now I'm going to stick with it and keep trying.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,756 posts.

17-Dec-2009, 11:55 PM #7
See if anything here can be of help:

http://community.norton.com/norton/s...q=SYMEFA64.SYS
Computer Specs

18-Dec-2009, 04:24 PM #8
Actually I'd run through that guys step by step instructions, since it does seem that that's the exact same error I'm experiencing, when I did the reinstall I mentioned above. System just crashes with the same error(?) during the re-installation process.

I give up. It's just about Christmas and I've other things on my plate then messing with a twitchy computer. I can usually get it working again no matter how messed up the error, often even without outside help (troubleshooting ho!) provided we're not talking rootkits or massive malware infections, but I don' have the time to spend three or four days messing around right not.

I'm just going to remove Norton entirely and go with AVG. I've never used a commercial anti-virus program before and I gotta say I don't think I will be again any time in the future. It's largely been a pain in the *** all things considered

Thanks sir for your posts. Hopefully this should solve the issue by virtue of sheer amputation.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!