Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Frozen mouse pointer

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 6 posts.

Experience: Beginner
03-Jan-2010, 09:54 AM #1
Frozen mouse pointer
I am unable to go beyond the log in page when starting my computer due to a frozen mouse. If I wait for some time the log in page reverts to a screensaver and nothing further happens and I am forced to close down by holding in the On/Off button.
I have changed the batteries in the mouse and keyboard which is Logitech wireless and tried it on another computer and it works ok. I have tried another wireless mouse and a cable mouse and neither work. I am running windows XP and until I installed a new Apple iMac alongside I had no problems. I have moved my Advent computer to a different location and it still doesn't work. I couldn't find any tips in previous threads that quite fitted my circumstances thus I am asking for HELP:
Junior Member with 27 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
03-Jan-2010, 11:50 AM #2
Do you have the Logitech driver installed for the mouse? If you only have a generic Windows driver it may not work with a wireless mouse. Can you use the keyboard to navigate around Windows (the Windows logo key to bring up the Start menu, CTRL+ALT+DEL to bring up the Task Manager) or does the keyboard not work as well?
Computer Specs
Member with 5,122 posts.

03-Jan-2010, 12:20 PM #3
Good morning and welcome to TSG forums.
If you go into device manager is there a yellow ! or? beside them?
If there is right click on it select properties>remove (do one at a time) then immediately reboot and let window find/reinstall them.
Also, how old is the computer? Don't know for sure, but perhaps they need the USB 2 ports to work and you computer has just USB 1.
vicks
Computer Specs

04-Jan-2010, 08:21 AM #4
Angry Frozen mouse pointer
Thanks for your comments
The mouse and keyboard were originally installed using a disc that came with the Logitech set. Unfortunately I can not get past the log in page even if I try to access through the Safe Mode. The computer seems to be installing everything until the pointer appears on the black screen which then moves slightly and freezes. I can't navigate at all with the keyboard. The computer is about 4/5 yrs old and was working ok until I disconnected to relocate it

05-Jan-2010, 06:58 AM #5
was the other mouse that you tried to use USB or PS/2 (round connector)? if you hit F8 at startup, can you get the list of menu options and choose "Command Line"? There are some command line tools you might be able to try. "driverquery" can tell you which drivers are loading, and "tasklist" will show you running processes -- helpful if you have malware or a virus.

Does your computer have a built-in restore or recovery feature?
Computer Specs

05-Jan-2010, 12:22 PM #6
Thanks
I have tried both a usb and a PS/2 and neither work. Nothing happens if I hit the F8 so I'm beginning to think I have quite a problem. The computer does have a built in system restore but I can't log in to get to it. At start up I have been able to navigate through the keyboard to instruct it to start up in the last known good start up but again I can't get past that user log in page. Likewise I can get it to start in safe mode but again it only goes to the log in page. Do you know of any way I can bye-pass that?

05-Jan-2010, 02:56 PM #7
do you have a boot disk or Windows installation/recovery CD/DVD? either of those might let you boot up and and least try to see what the problem could be.
Computer Specs

06-Jan-2010, 08:44 AM #8
Smile Frozen mouse pointer
Thanks
Suddenly hey presto on the umpteenth reboot we have liftoff and the mouse pointer is moving again and I can access my files. Perhaps my mouse doesn't like the snow and didn't want to come out to play.
Thanks very much for your comments and tips it's nice to know that there is someone out there who is prepared to offer help, I do appreciate it

06-Jan-2010, 10:14 AM #9
Glad it's working again!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!