Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

how to restore factory setting?

(!)

Junior Member with 17 posts.

Experience: Beginner
10-Jan-2010, 09:14 AM #1
how to restore factory setting?
Hi, I have a mesh matrix 2400 that i want to set back to factory settings. it won't boot but i've managed to access recovery console by making a boot cd. Can i restore to factory settings on here? The F11 button on start up does not bring up a restore menu and i cant do anything else with it so i think recovery console is my last option. I'll need the prompts to return to factory settings. If this is not possible then another option is to repair the error, i get an error saying windows cannot start because following file is corrupt or missing system32\config\system. I've tried to find it to copy a backup or whatever it is you do via recovery console but it appears the file is MISSING not corrupt. Is there any way to recover a missing file? I've tried a few things but to no avail! Any help would be appreciated.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
10-Jan-2010, 09:23 AM #2
You need to restore a registry hive. Do you want to fix your current installation or restore to factory condition and lose everything you have done since buying it?

You can't start any kind of recovery from the Recovery Console.

How to Restore the Registry Hives From a System Restore Snapshot in Windows XP
How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting
How to automate the Microsoft suggestion above

10-Jan-2010, 09:26 AM #3
Whatever is easiest. I've already managed to make an ubunto cd and access my hard drive via there to back up all of the files i need so i don't mind if everything is wiped.

Thanks
Computer Specs

10-Jan-2010, 09:37 AM #4
What make is your machine?

Are you using Ctrl+F11? If you are, try booting and holding the Ctrl key but rapidly tapping the F11 key.
Computer Specs

10-Jan-2010, 09:37 AM #5
What make is your machine?

Are you using Ctrl+F11? If you are, try booting and holding the Ctrl key but rapidly tapping the F11 key, and keep tapping until the recovery menu comes up.

If you have made any changes to your drive, that won't work..

10-Jan-2010, 09:48 AM #6
I've already tried F11 and ctrl F11 and neither work...

10-Jan-2010, 09:48 AM #7
mesh matrix 2400
Computer Specs

10-Jan-2010, 09:53 AM #8
Did you try rapidly tapping F11? That has worked many times. Holding F11 does not.

If the recovery partition is still intact, you may be able to boot to it with one of these boot CD's:

Boot Loader CD Image

or

SGD Boot Disk - This zip file contains both CD and floppy images. This boot disk can hide and unhide partitions, activate partitions, boot Windows or any other OS whether there is an MBR present or not, boot from a second drive, restore Windows boot (equivalent to fdisk /mbr or fixmbr), add or remove GRUB, restore LILO, live-swap drives and more.

----------------------------------

If neither works, contact the manufacturer about getting the XP CD.

10-Jan-2010, 10:39 AM #9
ok, i've downloaded the 1st link you gave me. I've burned it to disc and put it in the broken comp. It's opened up into a menu which says

hda partition1
hda partition2
floppy
cdrom
usb

set up
about
shutdown

i dont know what i'm supposed to do with this! you'll have to keep it simple for me please! Thanks
Computer Specs

10-Jan-2010, 10:42 AM #10
You want to try the 2 partitions on your hard drive which are hda1 and hda2. One is your XP partition and the other is probably your recovery partition. On most machines, the first is recovery, but it won't hurt to try both. You'll obviously be able to tell if it is your XP that is trying to boot.

I just made this boot loader this morning and you are the first. I'm actually pleased that it detected your partitions as it should.

It should start your recovery, so let's hope it works.

10-Jan-2010, 11:07 AM #11
When i went to hda partition1 it tried to start windows professional (i use home edition not professional) then stopped half way through and i got BSOD. 'fatal system error'
When i went to hda partition2 it gave me the original error : cannot start because following are corrupt or missing: system32\config\system
Then told me to try and repair it in recovery console.
Computer Specs

10-Jan-2010, 11:15 AM #12
Well. You must have Pro on there or it would not have tried to start. So it looks like someone installed it, or tried. And it also looks like your original Windows installation files in the recovery partition are gone.

You'll need to contact the manufacturer to get disks for a re-installation.

Or, try the directions in post #2 to restore your registry.

10-Jan-2010, 06:19 PM #13
I tried the instructions in post#2 and they did not work! I was trying something DIFFERENT on instruction from a friend so pardon me for not thinking it was double posting! It may appear to you that 'we have been through all this' because you know what you're doing but the reason I am here is because i don't! The rules state 'It is simply not acceptable to post your question more than once' I did not do this, I asked a different question about taking a different direction to solve a problem and as such, don't appreciate having my post closed.
Computer Specs

10-Jan-2010, 06:23 PM #14
It was substantially the same question with the same problem. We have already determined that you cannot restore your machine to factory settings. You are wasting peoples' time by starting the exact same issue over again.

Your only recovery options have been spelled out. You need to restore the registry of your old installation, or you need to buy CD's from the manufacturer.
\
If the directions in #2 did not work, then you have only one option.

10-Jan-2010, 06:30 PM #15
Ok, sorry for wasting peoples' time. It was unintentional. You may think it was spelled out but it's difficult when you're not very good with computers to make sense of what people are telling you to do and understand your options. Regardless, I give up!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!