Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Don't know how to remove logmein from system tray & add or remove programs list

(!)

Junior Member with 11 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
31-Jan-2010, 06:02 PM #1
Angry Don't know how to remove logmein from system tray & add or remove programs list
Hello, I am having trouble locating the right registry file for Logmein. I really use this program a lot for work , but the problem is that I am using a family computer and my little 18 year old brother keeps messing with the program by either right clicking it and exiting it out or removing it completely from the add or remove programs. He does this because he thinks that it will put viruses on the computer, I tried asking him to stop but it is like trying to convince a rock to move for you.

So, what I'd like to do is:

1.)Hide the program in add/remove list
2.)Use the registry to remove the icon by the clock in the system tray.
3.)Make this program almost undetectable to a moderately computer literate person.
Computer Specs
Member with 32 posts.

Experience: Advanced
31-Jan-2010, 07:51 PM #2
couple of ways of going about it

1. create him a separate account and set it to standard user so he doesn't have the rights and create a password on your account.

CONTINUE AT YOUR OWN RISK. I HAVE NOT TESTED THE FOLLOWING.

2. i haven't tested this with logmein and this may corrupt your installation and make it very hard to repair unless you know what you are doing.
goto regedit hklm>software>microsoft>windows>current version>uninstall> hit F3 (search) and type logmein or go through the list manually until you find it.

back up the key
by right clicking the logmein key and click export save it somewhere safe! then delete the key, this *should* remove the add/remove programs info but i am sure someone will correct me if i am wrong. See below image for example on this step.

note: logmein may be under a clsid (string of numbers) or under logmein or similar for the key. the below example shows where to click.

try running logmein, if it fails to work, run the reg file you exported before you deleted it and it will put the information back. abandon this and go back to step 1.

You should be able to remove the system tray icon from within the software itself, there is probably a tick box somewhere, if not try running (start>run) msconfig and clicking the startup tab. there should be a logmein entry there, untick the box and restart your pc. on the message box that pops up tick the box saying you are aware youve changed system config etc and dont want to be reminded everytime you log in. click ok.

Try running logmein again. it should start the required services and possibly take a little longer to run. but should be ok, you will however need to shut down/log off when you are done however as the system tray icon will most likely reappear when you run it.

Let me know how you get on. also have you tried just explaining to your brother that you need it for work and that all it does is connect you to your work network?

Josh
Junior Member with 11 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
31-Jan-2010, 10:30 PM #3
Well, there are two problems; it can't start the program when the computer is turned on, and the program is still listed in add/remove programs list.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
computer, fix, hardware, repair, software

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!