Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Find a Command-Line Switch?

(!)

jpboyrox jpboyrox is offline jpboyrox has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 344 posts.

Experience: Intermediate - Advanced
05-Feb-2010, 03:22 PM #1
Find a Command-Line Switch?
Do you know any way to find the command-line switches of a program. For example, I noticed that the Avira command on start up is "C:\Programs\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avgnt.exe" /min". I want to find out if it is possible to find out the command at the end (in this case "/min")
Trusted Advisor with 19,648 posts.

05-Feb-2010, 03:24 PM #2
Most utilities you can just type /? at the end of the command and it will list all the switches that are available. Otherwise I am sure they would be listed on the vendors website or help file.
Computer Specs
Member with 344 posts.

05-Feb-2010, 03:27 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squashman View Post
Most utilities you can just type /? at the end of the command and it will list all the switches that are available. Otherwise I am sure they would be listed on the vendors website or help file.
Where should I type this? In CMD? Would it by along the lines of "C:\Programs\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avgnt.exe" /?"
Phantom010 has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 32,318 posts.

Experience: Advanced
05-Feb-2010, 03:32 PM #4
Windows XP Commands

/min means Minimized.
Computer Specs
Member with 344 posts.

05-Feb-2010, 06:17 PM #5
Yes, obviously I understand that /min means minimised. I want to find other commands like /min for example "open" or "add" which seem to be different for every program. One of the things I want to do is add a link to videos in the context menu that says "Convert with AVC" so that when I click on that it will add the video to the 'convert' list in AVC. To do this I need to find out what the command-line switches are for AVC. This is NOT just for AVC so please don't post a link to their website. I want learn how to find out the command-line switches for any given program. I think that Squashman got the idea but I'm not quite sure what he meant with his reply
Trusted Advisor with 19,648 posts.

05-Feb-2010, 06:32 PM #6
Not all programs have alternate startup parameters or switches.
The only real way to find out is to read the help file for the program or check the programs support site.

The first I usually do is execute the program with a forward slash and question mark. That is pretty much the standard for most programs that take cmd line parameters.

Open up a cmd prompt.
ipconfig /?
ping /?
dir /?
etc, etc, etc.....

Some programs don't show their optional parameters for starting up using the /?. Windows Explorer is one of them but they are well documented on the web.

About the best anybody here can do is Google Search for you and I think you can do that on your own. There is no defacto standard for optional startup parameters.
Computer Specs
Member with 344 posts.

05-Feb-2010, 06:40 PM #7
so for example, I should type "avgnt.exe /?" ? Should I navigate to "C:\Programs\Avira\AntiVir Desktop" first?
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

05-Feb-2010, 08:09 PM #8
Yes, you'd have to navigate to the folder first.
Computer Specs
Member with 9,028 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
06-Feb-2010, 12:04 AM #9
avgnt.exe /? and avgnt.exe -? don't display any help, and the Avira site doesn't have them listed. There used to be info in the Avira forums, the the links all seem to be broken now. They have a Command Line tool that should be documented, but for the main program it's a matter of browsing and searching through the forum.

A google search often finds the info, these are what I try, for example for explorer.exe:
explorer.exe "command line" switch OR reference OR parameter
or
explorer.exe batch usage

HTH

Jerry
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
command, command line argument, command-line switch

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!