Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Changing downloads from C: to D: drive

(!)

Member with 72 posts.

Experience: Beginner
07-Feb-2010, 05:58 PM #1
Solved: Changing downloads from C: to D: drive
I would like to change the My Pictures and the My Music files to dowmload to my D: drive instead of the main C: drive as it usually does. How can I do that?
Thanks for the help!
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
07-Feb-2010, 06:19 PM #2
When the download window comes up, chgange the location in the box that specifies where to download the files.
Member with 72 posts.

07-Feb-2010, 06:30 PM #3
I want to be able to use the buttons but, have them to open up in the D: drive instead of the C: drive.
Trusted Advisor with 19,647 posts.

07-Feb-2010, 06:37 PM #4
What browser are you using?
Posted via Mobile Device
Member with 72 posts.

07-Feb-2010, 06:41 PM #5
Explorer 8
Member with 72 posts.

07-Feb-2010, 06:52 PM #6
The buttons I'm talking about are on the start menu. My Pictures and My Music. I want to change the direction from C: to D: drive.
Senior Member with 836 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
07-Feb-2010, 07:37 PM #7
If i understand you correctly, what you want to do is change the default location of these two folders?? To move these folders separately requires a registry edit i believe, Squashman or Elvandil can help you with that. But you can move the whole My Documents folder and it`s contents, including My pictures and My Music fairly easily. I always move mine to keep from cluttering up the C partition. More info here.
raybro   (Ray) raybro is offline raybro has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 5,820 posts.

Experience: Advanced
07-Feb-2010, 07:57 PM #8
I assume your goal is to move large files like My Pictures and My Music tend to be to the D:\ drive to keep from filling up the C:\ drive. If that is correct, I think what may satisfy the need is to move your My Documents folder (which contain the My Pic and My Music folders) to the D:\ drive. Windows makes provisions to do this.

To do so, open Windows Explorer. Now create a folder on the D:\ drive labeled "My Documents" (or whatever you choose to call it). Next, find the My Documents folder, in Windows Explorer, right-click it and select "Properties" (see attached screen shot). Click the "Move" button and navigate to the folder you created on the D:\ drive, click "Save". Windows will move the actual location of the files to the folder on the D:\ drive, but the change will be invisible to the user.

Click here to go to a M$ page with detailed instructions.

Note... If you do not first create a folder for your my docs folder on the D:\ and just move it to the D:\ drive, all the files will be mixed in with whatever else is already on the D:\ drive.

Raybro
Attached Thumbnails
Solved: Changing downloads from C: to D: drive-my-docs-properties.jpg  
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 58,302 posts.

07-Feb-2010, 08:03 PM #9
To those who have replied to this thread that was started today, it's a continuation of

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp...-original.html

that was started 3 days ago. I've been assisting in the other thread and just became aware that this new thread was started.

-------------------------------------------------------------
raybro   (Ray) raybro is offline raybro has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 5,820 posts.

07-Feb-2010, 08:19 PM #10
Major confusion factor. Good catch Frank.

Raybro
Member with 72 posts.

07-Feb-2010, 08:59 PM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by raybro View Post
I assume your goal is to move large files like My Pictures and My Music tend to be to the D:\ drive to keep from filling up the C:\ drive. If that is correct, I think what may satisfy the need is to move your My Documents folder (which contain the My Pic and My Music folders) to the D:\ drive. Windows makes provisions to do this.

To do so, open Windows Explorer. Now create a folder on the D:\ drive labeled "My Documents" (or whatever you choose to call it). Next, find the My Documents folder, in Windows Explorer, right-click it and select "Properties" (see attached screen shot). Click the "Move" button and navigate to the folder you created on the D:\ drive, click "Save". Windows will move the actual location of the files to the folder on the D:\ drive, but the change will be invisible to the user.

Click here to go to a M$ page with detailed instructions.

Note... If you do not first create a folder for your my docs folder on the D:\ and just move it to the D:\ drive, all the files will be mixed in with whatever else is already on the D:\ drive.

Raybro
That is exactly what I wanted to do!!
Thank you very much!
Trusted Advisor with 19,647 posts.

08-Feb-2010, 09:25 AM #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhite65 View Post
The buttons I'm talking about are on the start menu. My Pictures and My Music. I want to change the direction from C: to D: drive.
But when you say "download" we are lead to believe you are referring to downloading something within a browser. If you just would have said I want to move the location of My documents to a different drive, your problem would have been solved in one answer.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 58,302 posts.

08-Feb-2010, 09:42 AM #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhite65 View Post
That worked!! Thank you very much!
I don't know if I need to start another thread or not but, I would like to change the My Pictures and the My Music files to dowmload to my D: drive instead of the main C: drive as it usually does. How can I do that? Started new thread.
And I was confused by these comments in your other thread because I didn't know if you had created a single C partition or had created C and D partitions when you formatted the hard drive.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Member with 72 posts.

09-Feb-2010, 03:48 AM #14
Sorry about that! I guess I didn't know exactly how to discribe what I wanted to do.
Thanks for the help though!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!