Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Windows XP won't boot/ 'Refresh Install' doesn't see XP installation

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 10 posts.

Experience: Advanced
12-Feb-2010, 04:51 AM #1
Question Windows XP won't boot/ 'Refresh Install' doesn't see XP installation
Hi,

The problems I am about to mention are regarding my laptop:

Asus M6Ne
Ram: 1024mb
Hooked up to external monitor due to monitor (laptop) failure.

Problem: (btw: i checked and the problem is not caused by the M$ Update that causes some BSOD's)

XP won't boot up at all. I see the american megatrends screen, then the screen goes black and no HDD activity is to be seen (leds). When I insert a winXP cd and choose --> Install --> Repair; it doesn't see my windows XP installation. I only get to see 2 partitions (my c: and d: partitions; btw. XP is on the c: partition). There is no room left on the disk beside these partitions (they're crammed full with my personals...).

What i tried:

Inserting my xp cd didn't work so I burned the recovery console (standalone; rc.iso) to a cd and inserted it. This allows me to enter the repair function of the recovery console and enter into the prompt. Here I entered chkdsk /r. This totally fixed the problem as it rebooted into windows xp. However, when it started up it said virus blabla (internet security 2010 virus/ trojan). I removed this virus, carefully checking if the antivir didn't delete/ quarantain system files that are needed to boot.

Next thing: Virus successfully removed; Rebooted laptop. Screen goes black. I booted into rc again and did a chkdsk /p followed by (after no effect) chkdsk /r as this helped me the first time. No effect at all.
So what I did was: Reboot into the rc and type fixmbr followed by fixboot. Again, no response. Last thing i tried was to rebuild the bootcfg (by bootcfg /rebuild ). I followed procedure and gave the credentials for the boot (i called it windows xp professional edition, whereas on my old xp boot there is no addition at the end). I rebooted and get to choose out of 2 installs? my old one and the new boot. Whichever one i choose it won't boot. My external monitor goes into sleeping mode and no HDD activity is to be seen.

Any suggestions are welcome

PS: Strange thing is that it doesn't see my installation after rc --> install --> repair. But when I start rc i have to tell which windows to restore (press 1) and then enter my admin password (so it does see it in rc normal?!)

Last edited by Parttwo; 12-Feb-2010 at 05:27 AM.. Reason: update
Computer Specs

12-Feb-2010, 05:41 AM #2
Extra info:

As stated above, I tried to rebuild the bootcfg 2 times. Now, when I boot into the rc and list the bootcfg (/list) I see three startup items:

Microsoft Windows XP Professional (/fastdetect)
C:\WINDOWS

Microsoft Windows XP Professional edition (/fastdetect)

Microsoft Windows XP Professional (/noexecute=optin /fastdetect)

The first two are the ones I created using the bootcfg /rebuild command. However, no matter which one I try to load, the screen will turn black and activity will seize.
Btw: Does it matter that there are 3 of the startup boot-items listed? Does it matter that they all seem to point to the same folder? (c:\windows).
Computer Specs

12-Feb-2010, 06:32 AM #3
Update:

What is happening now:
I get to see the xp startup logo. Next i get to a blue (like standard xp) screen and an error pops up that says: (lsass.exe) When trying to update a password this return status indicates that the value provided is incorrect.

After this the system reboots.

What i did:
- I copied the system.bak to the windows system file
- Using bootcfg /default I made my old XP bootup (in the list of 3 above the one with noexec in the parameter) the default one.
Computer Specs

12-Feb-2010, 07:04 AM #4
Ok so now it seems that there is possibly something wrong in the registry. Now i try to follow this procedure: http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B307545&x=16&y=17

BUT NOW I CAN'T LOGIN TO MY C:\WINDOWS INSTALLATION ANYMORE! It doesn't accept my password anymore (admin pass) also leaving it blank doesn't work. How can this be? Could it be because of some of the above steps I took? I don't understand.
Member with 11,752 posts.

12-Feb-2010, 07:05 AM #5
Well things seem to get better then worse........if you have important data on that drive ...you could get a 2.5 to 3.5 adapter and put it on another PC...or get an enclosure for the laptop HD.
Computer Specs

12-Feb-2010, 07:08 AM #6
Hi Megabite,

Thanks for your reply. I was considering that, but I just can't stand the fact I can't get into my laptop anymore Could it be that by copying the system.bak files to the system folder or pointing my old boot as default by using bootcfg /default that my password changed? I can't think of anything like that but maybe it could....

It might be a good idea for me to get the data copied, but I will not rest until my xp install is restored

12-Feb-2010, 07:14 AM #7
You have done soooo many things to the HD now that it like me is a bit muddled.....I understand your stubborness but first I would get the important data off and then carry on......unless your data isn't important.

12-Feb-2010, 07:23 AM #8
Have you tried tapping F9 immediately on startup
Computer Specs

12-Feb-2010, 07:24 AM #9
True However, now we know what probably is causing it not to start (registry corrupted; maybe some files were deleted by my antivir after all?). So there are three things for me to do atm:

1. Get my data copied a.s.a.p.
2. Get the password for my xp (mine won't work, maybe there is a OEM one since I bought it through my school once. Or else try the netuser thingy.
3. Once I recovered the password, Fix the registry as stated in the above link.

After work I will buy a connector like you suggested and try the above steps.

I'll keep any progress posted here.

Any suggestions are still welcome!
Computer Specs

12-Feb-2010, 07:26 AM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megabite View Post
Have you tried tapping F9 immediately on startup
Yes I tried that, but it didn't work for me.

Thanks for thinking along!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
black screen, reboot, recovery console, repair install

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!