Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: WIN XP sets up temp profiles on startup

(!)

Member with 205 posts.

15-Feb-2010, 06:04 PM #1
Solved: WIN XP sets up temp profiles on startup
When starting laptop, message appears saying cannot open user profile - Windows then insists on setting up a temp profile and (coincidentally ?) machine runs painfully slowly for about an hour. All original profile files and documents are visible using "explore" but each time machine is started a new temp profile is created. Have run C Cleaner, Disk Cleanup etc to try and sort out slow running (which seems to fix itself after some time) but the profile glitch is a pain.

Any ideas from the experts please ?

Don't have the machine in front of me so cannot show precisley the error wording - can get that in a couple of days (it's my daughter's laptop ....and dad is always supposed to be able to fix things).

Thanks in advance to anyone who may be able to help.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,092 posts.

Experience: Advanced
15-Feb-2010, 08:50 PM #2
CCLeaner is very aggressive and I mean VERY...
I help someone at least once a month fix something that CCleaner informed the user that it was junk and should remove it... ->> and it was not OK to remove
so don't use it unless you know what it is removing...

what kind of software do you have? an xp install disc? recovery disc?
make and model number please...
do you recall seeing any restore options on the screen when you first turn it on?
Member with 205 posts.

15-Feb-2010, 09:12 PM #3
Interesting comment on CCleaner which comes highly recommended in a number of UK magazines ....but take the point ...in fact I suspect it hadn't been run before the profile problem started (although we ran it yesterday to try and speed the machine up) We have the full recovery CD set (in fact only 2 CDs - a WINXP bootable disk and a second disk with all factory loaded applications, drivers etc. Will get make and model (HP/Compaq) tomorrow and post back. I recall a similar problem about 6 months ago but not how it was fixedand if it was in fact succeeded by a more troublesome WINXP crash which did in fact result in a complete restore to factory settings. The machine has crashed to my knowledge twice before and we suspect the hard drive.....

EDIT = will also get the full text of the initial error message at start up - as I recall there are no restore options offered ...just the temp profile.

Last edited by MCROZ; 15-Feb-2010 at 09:23 PM.. Reason: extra details
Member with 205 posts.

16-Feb-2010, 07:30 PM #4
The two error messages on startup are :

Windows cannot load the locally stored profile. Possible causes of this error include insufficient security rights or a corrupt local profile. If this problem persists, contact your network administrator.

and then

Windows cannot find your locally stored profile and is logging you on with a temporary profile. Changes you make to this profile may be lost.............(there is more but we can't transcribe it as it disappears quickly...)

This is of course just a home laptop with a single user.

A corrupt profile is suspected but no idea how it happened or how to correct it.
Computer Specs

16-Feb-2010, 10:28 PM #5
Try this and see if it helps:
How to perform Chkdsk disk error checking in Windows XP
Manual steps to run chkdsk at the command prompt

Click Start, and then run
Or hit the WINDOWS key, (bottom left area of you keyboard) and the R key at the same time to get the run window to open.
In the window that opens type
cmd
And then press ENTER.
Use the following procedure:

To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, at the command prompt, type
chkdsk c:/r
(please notice the space after the word chkdsk and before c:/r OK)
(after the word chkdsk use the letter c provided of course that c is your main hard drive letter)

And then press ENTER.

Note if one or more of the files on the hard disk are open, you will receive the following message:
chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)
Type Y, and then press ENTER to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check.
Member with 205 posts.

18-Feb-2010, 07:28 PM #6
CHKDSK worked !

Many Thanks for your help.
Computer Specs

18-Feb-2010, 09:55 PM #7
You are very welcome MCROZ
Member with 205 posts.

05-Mar-2010, 10:38 AM #8
Quick update if anyone stumbles across this thread. A week later the Black screen of doom (even worse than the blue screen of death) manifested itself for at least the 3rd time in this Compaq's life ...the one that says "sorry for the inconvenience but windows is totally ****ed "

Rather than reload the whole damn thing again - as we have before - and again suspecting a malfunction in the HDD - she now has a new Tosh Satellite laptop with WIN 7 and is a happy bunny (albeit 400 UK pounds poorer ....and if any other readers are going to tell me .."don't waste your money on a Tosh or WIN 7 - please resist the temptation ....thanks).

CHKDSK was the answer to the easier problem though, and will be remembered.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!