Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Sound cracking, slow computer jumping videos

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
16-Feb-2010, 10:54 AM #1
Sound cracking, slow computer jumping videos
I have been using my netbook for about 10months fine and then one day it took ages to load up, and as I was watching a video the sound started cracking and becoming jumpy and skipping and the video was slow and jumpy. The whole computer slows down when this happens. I thought it was due to a virus so I reformat my computer and all was fine for about a week then the sound started becomming crackly and jumpy again and the video and the computer is extremely slow and jumpy when any sound plays.

I have tried updating the drivers, rolling back the drivers, reinstalling the drivers and even uninstalling them and rebooting the computer. I have gone through windows troubleshoot which could not diagnose my problem

I have tried setting all my sounds levels on everything exactly the same and still no joy. It seems to be less distorted if I play something that doesn't have many levels to it?

I'm at a complete loss as to what to do, there isn't any programme I can think of that I have installed either time just before the sound started acting up.

Any ideas?

System: Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 3

Computer:
Intel(R) Atom(TM)
CPU N270 @1.60GHz
1.60GHz, 0.99 GB of RAM
Computer Specs

19-Feb-2010, 08:47 AM #2
Is there anything else I could try, i'm at a complete loss
Computer Specs
Member with 45,855 posts.

Experience: I know when to fold em'
19-Feb-2010, 12:47 PM #3
The symptoms are similar to those I have seen when the primary drive IDE controller has degraded in mode from Ultra DMA to PIO.

There is a scripted fix for this which I would suggest testing.

To use it, you MUST right click on the "step 1" link in the article below and use the "Save Linked Content as .." method of downloading it.

Once you see it on the desktop (it should be a VBS file, not a text file) run it and note the response. Reboot and test.

http://winhlp.com/node/10

Note that if the problem is fixed temporarily, but returns --you may have a poorly seated disk drive and you should consult the system vendor's manual on how to replace (in this case, just remove and reseat) the drive.
Computer Specs

20-Feb-2010, 06:50 PM #4
Ok have now managed to get the sound to stop crackling and skipping but instead its as if someone has turned down the vocal line and is playing it in a bathroom, its extremely echo/tin like. I've tried different players, websites and even played with the equaliser settings. The computer is still slow.

Have done a disk check and there are no errors. Tried to do that download thing posted but it just wouldn't work.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!