Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

bsod dell error code 2000-0146

(!)

Junior Member with 3 posts.

22-Feb-2010, 05:31 PM #1
bsod dell error code 2000-0146
hello this is my first time posting on here. i have a question my laptop has recently gone done with the blue screen of death i have a stop error code 0x0000007e and the dell error code is 2000-0146 appears as well. now i have been doing a lot of reading on the forums and have been following and trying everything everyone has been saying but nothing seems to work for me... first off i have a dell inspiron 1505 e laptop

the things that i have tried:
tried to run in all safe modes but it gets stuck and doesnt go anywhere
have the xp os cd i put that in then run through the cd drive and then it loads then i select repair and then loads dos and i hit 1 for windows then the admin password and then i have tried chkdsk and then i have also tried the /r with it it took about an hour or so and then it said it repaired it then went to reboot and nothing changed i also have done a fixboot nothing happened there either.

am i doing something wrong or is there some other way to go about fixing this?? i need some files of this laptop like itunes pictures and stuff...

any advice here would be great....
Member with 1,312 posts.

22-Feb-2010, 06:15 PM #2
Talking re: bsod dell....
Wow, I just returned that same laptop to a customer Saturday, for a HUGE variety of issues. lol.

Ok, what you will need to do is do a "repair install". You will use your XP disk, and go through the prompts as if you were going to install Windows (boot from CD/DVD).
When you are prompted to search for prior Windows installations, do that. You will then be notified that
there is a copy of Windows already on the drive, and you will be given the option to "repair Windows..."

Choose repair and that should get you up and running again. It's similar to an install, but it's non-destructive; in other words your files, profile(s), software etc should be intact as it was prior to the problem you are experiencing. If that doesn't help or you need further assistance, feel free to post back.

Best of luck!

22-Feb-2010, 06:51 PM #3
yes i am a little confused with the directions that you have given me because when i go to insert the disk and then run it through the cd drive it then takes a second to load and then prompts me to the windows xp professional setup in which i can either hit enter to set windows xp now, or hit r for repair or quit the setup by pressing f3 now if your saying hit the repair button i have done that and it just prompts me to dos mode were i access windows and tried to chkdsk thing can you be more specific please....
Member with 1,312 posts.

22-Feb-2010, 08:01 PM #4
No problem. "Press enter to setup Windows XP"....is what you want to choose. (though the wording is slightly different)

If I were at the shop, I could give you more specific details, but you want to pretend you are setting up XP. After hitting "enter to setup Windows XP now...." you will be prompted that there is a previous installation of Windows on your hard drive. Keep going as if there is no prior installation of Windows; and when given the option to "Repair Windows". Choose that.

If you need more assistance, feel free to post back.

Last edited by TekTime; 22-Feb-2010 at 08:10 PM..
Trusted Advisor with 15,692 posts.

22-Feb-2010, 08:17 PM #5
Just to clarify..
Insert the XP cd in the CD ROM Drive then switch on the computer.

You will receive the following message:

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.
To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.
----------------------------------------------------------
DO NOT at this point select R.... DO NOT SELECT R

Select ENTER
----------------
On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen
Press F8 to agree to the license agreement

Select current installation of Windows XP.and then

Press R to repair Windows XP.
-----------------------------------
Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to repair Windows.
After you repair Windows , you may have to reactivate your copy of Windows XP
And install all Windows updates.

A repair install should leave all of your programs and data in place.

22-Feb-2010, 10:18 PM #6
thank you so much for the help that seemed to work, i was able to get back into the system so far and i am copying files to the external hard drive.. i do have another question tho? why does this happen? i mean my computer was working fine and then i wake up and turn it on and it just pops up out of no where??
Trusted Advisor with 15,692 posts.

23-Feb-2010, 05:30 AM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rendomhero View Post
why does this happen? i mean my computer was working fine and then i wake up and turn it on and it just pops up out of no where??
That is the question.
Machines like man - can wake up with a sore head.

You can mark it Solved - at thread tools at the top of the page.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!